1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Request Help! Can't Transcribe

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by strictlybass_ic, Nov 28, 2018.

1. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    First of all sorry if this is the wrong place for this, not sure where else to post.

I'm trying out for a new originals band and I'm tying to get down some of their songs from Chord Charts. Most everything is going fine, but they have a few songs in D-standard tuning (D-G-C-F-A-D) that are NOT working out. I'm trying to transcribe everything into standard tuning so I don't have to down tune my bass (fretless, very low action, tuned down = buzzzzzzzzz town)

I THOUGHT that translating between standard and D Standard would just be a matter of dropping everything 2 frets and remapping but it does NOT sound right. For Example Am would become G, E would become D, etc but it does not sound right played along with the recording. Am I taking crazy pills here, or am I using the wrong method to transcribe?

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think you are confusing "transcribe" and "transpose."

"Transpose" means to move a song from one key to another key. For example, if the song was originally written in E, but they play it in D, that is "transposing."

"Transcribe" means to figure out the right notes using your ears. Do you have this skill?

The way I see it, there are basically 3 possibilities:
    1. The chord charts they sent you are correct. So you should follow the chord charts.
    2. The chord charts they sent you are basically correct, except they are transposed 2 frets, because of the drop tuning. So if they say the first chord is "E" then you should actually play "D."
    3. The chord charts they sent you are inaccurate or misleading. So you should ignore the bad charts and trust your ears.
    It sounds like you've already tried and rejected option 2, so that leaves options 1 and 3.

A side tangent, not the question you asked, but I would highly recommend using D tuning for the audition. It shows that you are a flexible and versatile musician. Assuming you want the gig. ;)

3. strictlybass_ic

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    You are correct, I did get my terms mixed up.

Unfortunately I am NOT good at listening my way through. But, much as you mentioned above I think that's my best option at this point if I want to stay in Standard tuning.

Interesting take on the tuning change. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I could see how that might be seen as a positive during the audition.

4. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I guess that begs the question: If you don't (yet) have the skill to play by ear, and they can't provide you with accurate charts, then assuming you do pass the audition, how are you going to learn all the songs?

5. strictlybass_ic

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    Now you know why my post started with a slightly panicky "Help!"

ak56 and Mushroo like this.
  6. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    How far away is the audition? Do you have enough time to ask your teacher for help?

7. strictlybass_ic

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    It's tomorrow night. No teacher to speak of minus youtube and woodshedding.

8. Mushroo

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Good luck on the audition tomorrow! :) Remember: You don't know the criteria they will be using to judge. They might be looking for a certain "something" that you might just have. So, be yourself and play with confidence! :)