Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Carvin has a new piezo bass! Should I cancel my order?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Domino, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Carvin just released a new P Series bass (note it stands for Piezo not Precision).

http://www.carvin.com/pseries/

Now I don't know what to do! I ordered an LB-70 with the following options and was expecting delivery in a month.

x LB70 - LB70: 4-string bass 659.00
    x HC17 - Guitar Case 45.00
    x HS - Hipshot Detuner 30.00
    x SL - Dunlop Straploks 5.00
    x BC - black hardware 10.00
    x HB2 - Bass Humbucker 20.00
    x TN - tung oil neck 30.00
    x TL - instrument color BLUEBURST 20.00
    x RB - Rounded Body 20.00
    x PH - matching headstock 15.00

What can you tell me about these Piezo pickups and the new features of the P series. Should I cancel my order and get one of these? Now I'm so confused!

2. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    So I guess the questions I am asking are: What are piezo pickups? How do they change the tone of the guitar? What other instruments have them? ... and is it worth cancelling my order to get one with this new option?

http://www.carvin.com/pseries

Help!

3. why don't you call carvin about it.
    do a search on that type of pickup, various basses come with them, i.e. stingray, zon, and ashbory all have a option for them.

i would start by calling carvin, you might not need to cancel the order, maybe they can add the part to the bass you ordered

good luck

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Piezo bridges are pretty gimmicky, IMO, and an unwelcome addition to the traditional electric bass sound. It seems like conventional electronics have pretty much reached the height of sophistication, so the only way manufacturers can attract new customers is by adding unnecessary but au courant options like piezos to their instruments. That isn't to say that piezos can't sound good with the right instrument; it's just that in my experience, they generally don't.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

In the electric bass application, they're meant to get you the qualities of an acoustic bass. I haven't tried themn, but if that was what I truly wanted, I think I'd get an upright.

Even if the bass with piezos can get the acoustic characteristics, what will one's amp do to it? I think I'd be looking at Glockenklang or Fafner.

IMHO, this addition to the Carvin line is not targeted at the rocker or any one who wants a colored, electric sound.

6. I don't know that piezos would change my LB75F for the better- it's a great sounding bass as it is. I wouldn't worry about it, if you want a more acoustic sound (I don't think they give a very URB-like tone) the AC models are nice basses with good tone. Just my opinion.

7. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    OK I think I'll pass on upgrading to the P-Series. An extra $110 bucks isn't worth it to me at this point for an acoustic sound that I'll probably just play around with here and there and never use.

Thanks for the input everyone.