HELP! Carvin head losing volume!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lackey, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    And I have a good gig next week!!

I have a 1.5 year old R1000 head,, And I just noticed tonight while practicing that its suddenly not nearly as loud as it should be! I checked out all the connections, tried 2 basses, 2 instrument cables, 3 speaker cables and both my cabs! I had it running on 10 on the master volume thru a 4 ohm 8x10 cab and it wasn't NEAR earthshaking! In fact my mom didnt even say it was that loud in the kitchen!

Figures my 1 year warranty is up :spit: ,, Aguilar w/ 10 year all the way next time!!

any suggestions or comments please!

P.S; I should mention that tone wise its normal,, just half as loud as it should be!
  2. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles

..and not a good one I'm afraid...

I just tried again,, It was running in "bridged" mode,, which hooks up the 2 internal poweramps to produce the advertised 1000 watts. So,, i switched it back to Bi Amp mode,, started fiddling with the independant amp controls,, and you know what? The hi frequency amp is not working at all! By that I mean that its crackling, shorting out, generally producing no decent volume at all and HORRIBLE "tone". The Low frequency amp still seems to be pumping out a hearty 350 watts,, the volume seems about correct for that wattage.

So,, what should I do? Call Carvin and demand (Politely) that they repair it for free? Quoting "built to withstand touring" and other slogans of theirs?

Please,, if anybody has had similar problems or has any hints on how to deal with Carvin,, lemme know!

thank you
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    time to rent or borrow a head.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yep. thats why carvins are sooo cheap. they always do that.
  5. Time to call Carvin customer support. Let us know how that goes.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey Chris,

Best thing to do is call Carvin customer service ASAP. They may then transfer you to returns and repairs. Be polite but firm, and try to get them to offer a definite solution. Maybe they can send you schematics so you can have someone local fix it, or maybe you'll have to ship it back. At least you're in CA; I dunno what your time is like, but you might even, if you're free, consider driving the amp down to SD and physically putting it in Carvin's hands.

I'm sure you thought of this, but were the speaker connections all correct when you switched it from bridged to biamp (you have to use different speaker outputs)? Also, at no time were you bridging into two 4 ohm cabs, right?

Still digging the LB76F?;)
  7. cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Pop it open and look for any leaking/burning components. This happened to me.

Also check the connections to your speakers inside your cab. This also happened to me.
  8. I took mine to a friend's electronics repair shop. They fixed my amp (R1000) for about $50 and told me that there were two overheated and balloned resistors in the effects loop, as well as a problem caused by "cold solder" EVERYWHERE. The guy joked and said that he had to put about 9 tons of solder into the amp - it was that bad. Before I took it to get repaired, it had the exact same symptoms as your amp did. Otherwise, I like my amp.
  9. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    woa its been a while since ive been here...

i have a series 2 R600, smaller amps, but really similar to what you have i believe. Ive heard of similar things happening due to carvins modular construction. ie components are plugged together inside using various connectors, allowing the toroids to be removed, etc. this is only what ive heard, i havent had any problems with mine. you might want to open it up and see if theres simply a loose plug on the hi amp. good luck, ive had very good experiences with carvins customer support (sending me new parts for my LB75 no questions asked when the preamp died, also a new grille for my RC210 when it arrived with a big ole dent) good luck.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That pure bull, least for the Series II R600 I had and the R1000 head I have, (but don't use much any more).

My R heads were loaded in/out by all kinds of people over more miles accrued on Ryder trucks than I can count. Never a problem or failure.

Carvin's quality control may not be as good as the fine gear, but they are workhorses, IME. Hell, if you saw the film, "Standing in the Shadows of Motown," legendary, gold record artist, bassist, Bob Babbitt is using a Carvin.

Many things can happen during transportation. Some drivers don't care if your head falls on the street. Take it up with Carvin. IME, they'll make it right.
  11. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have to agree with rickbass on this one... in the five years that I have had my R600 head it has been through everything... falls, drops, mismatched cabs, gigs in the blistering hot sun... It's been a plain workhorse and has paid for itself several time over... The only issues that I have had with it are broken input jacks, (used to always step on cords before I went wireless :cool: ), and more recently, a similar, intermittent powerloss to the one you are describing... One of the many ceramic resistors on the power module had a broken connection, (no doubt due to some rough handling)... $1 and a little bit of solder and I am back in business.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    OK OK OK..
    just open it up...get some good contact elec. cleaner....unplug everything that will inside of the amp (one at a time!!) clean the contacts and plug back in...this may be your problem....
    this happens no biggie..

13. I agree with my fellow Carvin owners/supporters. In my previous post, I mentioned only the negative things (solder), but I didn't mention that the R1000 had given me no problems whatsoever in the previous two and a half years of service. Mine has had its own share of bumps and drops as well. ditto with the 2 Carvin cabs that I have.
  14. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I just sent my R1000 in for some "noise" was out of warranty but they fixed it for free. very decent about it and wanted to make it correct. for the amount of power there isn't a head that's as affordable...and customer service made me believe they want to have a decent rep too.

good luck with yours.
  15. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Cold solder joints are one of the WORST problems you can have with the construction of an amp. Cold solder connections fail when bumped around. They are the sign of lack of care during construction, obviously assembled by someone who didn't know what they were doing.
  16. i know someone owning one of their cyclops combos. R600 head in it. I don't know what the problem was but when we were biamping into the 2 8's and 15, the LOW seemed like it was the only thing that worked. Shut the low off, boosted the high frequency and I heard close to nothing coming out of it. I dunno though...
  17. rickbass

Having owned one, that is one tricky amp. It has to be biamped, for one thing and runs at 2.6 ohms, according to an email I had from Carvin.
  18. yeah, you sent me a PM a while back in january/february, hell maybe it was december;) about your cyclops as I was interested in buying one used. Now I'm running a hartke 3500 into a Peavey 410TX and an Avatar CB115(flipped sideways to be able to stack the 410 on top)...
  19. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey,, thanks for all the suggestions. I think my first course of action is going to be calling Carvin and politely asking that they fix it gratis, quoting phrases such as "Built to withstand the rigors of touring" and such. It's probably something just knocked loose, but I don't feel like cracking it apart and looking at it unless I get the cold shoulder from Carvin.

oh ps Richard,, the bass is running great! I think the bridge pickup needs a bit of adjustment on the inside,, as the B string is noticably quieter than the other strings.
  20. rickbass

FYI - It's living the good life nowadays at a studio in Detroit.