Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Carvin or Yorkville Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zillo, Feb 20, 2004.

1. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Hi All:

I'm looking for a smallish combo for practice and acoustic jam sessions. The music I try to play :) , as someone else here on TB well put it, is blues / bluegrass / c &w / grateful dead and I use a Jack Casady bass. :bassist: The combo will be in addition to my "big rig" (Avatar B212 and Warwick Pro Fet II).

I'm looking for something relatively portable, 100 watts + / -, about $300, and with a robust warm tone. Due to budget constraints, I've narrowed it down to two contenders.

One is the Yorkville XM200, 100 watt 1X15" combo, and the Carvin PB100-10, 100 watts 1X10. Both get good online reviews, and I don't have the opportunity to try either out.

What do you think? any other ideas

Thanks!

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I would lean towards Yorkville. Bullet proof stuff. Canada's working man's Peavey, with nicer voicing. Not putting down Peavey, having used it many many times.

3. yorkville!

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm a Carvin user and a fan in many areas, but I don't dig their small bass combos that much. In this scenario, I'd lean toward the Yorkville.

5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Go with the Yorkville. It is 200 watts with an extension cabinet, 150 watts on it's own, and the LOUDEST little 150 watts you will ever hear.

As far as bang for your buck is concerned, nothing on the market touches a Yorkville bass amp. :bassist:

6. here is another vote for yorkville, although you should explore the option of a used ampeg B-100R. the newer carvin combos do not speak to me like their older, PB combos.

i had a carvin PB300C combo for the longest time and got great use of it. i still miss the speaker cabinet on it, though the amp was not entirely impressive.

i second the notion that yorkville appears to be the canadian peavey. their bass combos look nice and seem to be well-liked. let us know of your experience.

robb.

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey I used to have a PB300C!!! I didn't like the tone of it honestly. My vote for a small combo would be a Gallien Krueger MB150. I love mine. Very portable and a great clean tone. Also very powerful for its size (100 watts). However, it might be over your budget, even used. Check 'em out anyway.

8. Go with yorkville, I use an xs400h and xc410, and they're customer service and bang for buck are very hard to beat.

9. neither did i, which is why i sold mine. but i used the speaker cabinet without the head quite a bit. i powered it with a crown K2 fed by either a peavey max or ampeg SVP-BSP preamp. huge tone.

the speaker cabinet is really awesome, to the point that i'm thinking about building one of my own with the same components. but the head, was kind of meh.

i think yorkville will offer better tone overall.

robb.

10. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Well, I listened to the Canadian advisors and went with the Yorkville xm100c :) . Thing is built like a tank.

I'm very happy with the combo...good sound, good size. I can carry it in one hand and the bass in the other. It's plenty loud for the intended use.

The Carvin probably would be fine too, but I think I like the 15 with no tweeter.

Thanks again!

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The XM100C has the XLR out but no speaker out, right? Good choice. I am also not a big fan of tweeters in the little combos.

<rant>
    I don't really understand why little combos (say 150W or less) would want a speaker out. You either have to:

a) Put in an 8 ohm speaker and run the combo at a less than optimal configuration.

b) Put the extension cab in series, so adding a cab lowers the output.

c) Have the external speaker disconnect the internal speaker (ala PortaBass). So now you have a *really* heavy head unless you can easily remove the amp from the combo.

Since, to my mind, the whole point of a combo is to have one single package, and you probably need the full output, the speaker output is fairly useless.
    </rant>

12. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    That's right...xlr out and no speaker extension. It also has the rca inputs, so you can plug a cd player in to work on songs.

It seems just about right!

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Cool. I have that on my amp and sometimes I plug my Tascam CD-BT1 Bass Trainer into it so I can hear the bass better. My poor old ghetto blaster doesn't do a good job with bass.