help!! changing knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Holy_Grail, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. Holy_Grail

    Holy_Grail Guest

    Aug 12, 2004
    Hello, everyone, this is my first time in talkbass. I have a jazz bass which i would like to change its knobs. My current ones are all the chrome dome knobs. How can i change them? Do i need to solder?

    Also, I would like to change its pickguard. Can anyone teach me how?
  2. Mudfuzz


    Apr 3, 2004
    Most dome knobs have a set screw on the side, loosen it, pull off the knob.

    If it's a J then all you should have to do is unscrew all the screws, then pull off the pickguard [it sometime helps to loosen you strings a bit too].
  3. Holy_Grail

    Holy_Grail Guest

    Aug 12, 2004
    Is the pickups attached to the pickguard? My pickguard is a one piece pickup. It does not have a control plate. What i should do then?
  4. FaBu-


    Jan 16, 2004
    How can I change knobs that are made of plastic? (Fender Jazz MIJ '97)
  5. Aaron Saunders

    Aaron Saunders

    Apr 27, 2002
    Pull on them, straight-way from the body.

    For a Jazz pickguard, you just unscrew all of the screws, remove the plate, smack the new one on, and screw it in
  6. No they aren't, & that's fairly obvious if you look at the bass.

    No, it's a one piece pickguard.

    Sounds like you have a Hoppus bass. Sorry. I mean you don't have to do anything. Just unscrew the knob set-screws, and take them off. Then put your new knobs on. You getting dice or skulls?

    (Just joking around man)
  7. Holy_Grail

    Holy_Grail Guest

    Aug 12, 2004
    Nope it is not the Mark hoppus bass.... it a jazz bass copy. It has a pickguard and control plate. But i want to change it to a one piece pickguard... i want my bass to look different from my friends'
  8. Ah, I see. You'd have to have a pickguard custom made then, possibly by Chandler, or Warmoth or someone, or you COULD retrofit a Hoppus guard.