Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help!! changing knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Holy_Grail, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Holy_Grail

Holy_Grail Guest

Aug 12, 2004
    Hello, everyone, this is my first time in talkbass. I have a jazz bass which i would like to change its knobs. My current ones are all the chrome dome knobs. How can i change them? Do i need to solder?

Also, I would like to change its pickguard. Can anyone teach me how?

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Most dome knobs have a set screw on the side, loosen it, pull off the knob.

If it's a J then all you should have to do is unscrew all the screws, then pull off the pickguard [it sometime helps to loosen you strings a bit too].

3. Holy_Grail

Holy_Grail Guest

Aug 12, 2004
    Is the pickups attached to the pickguard? My pickguard is a one piece pickup. It does not have a control plate. What i should do then?

4. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    How can I change knobs that are made of plastic? (Fender Jazz MIJ '97)

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Pull on them, straight-way from the body.

For a Jazz pickguard, you just unscrew all of the screws, remove the plate, smack the new one on, and screw it in

6. No they aren't, & that's fairly obvious if you look at the bass.

No, it's a one piece pickguard.

Sounds like you have a Hoppus bass. Sorry. I mean you don't have to do anything. Just unscrew the knob set-screws, and take them off. Then put your new knobs on. You getting dice or skulls?

(Just joking around man)

7. Holy_Grail

Holy_Grail Guest

Aug 12, 2004
    Nope it is not the Mark hoppus bass.... it a jazz bass copy. It has a pickguard and control plate. But i want to change it to a one piece pickguard... i want my bass to look different from my friends'

8. Ah, I see. You'd have to have a pickguard custom made then, possibly by Chandler, or Warmoth or someone, or you COULD retrofit a Hoppus guard.