Help, cheap basses

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Oct 10, 2002.

1. I have been playing electric bass for about two years now and still own a Squire affinity P-bass. It has no personality at all. I recently put flatwound strings on it hoping a better sound would be produced, but I think it just screwed up some more.
    I was just wondering what the best non-starter bass you've seen for 300-450 dollars, maybe even a fretless.
  2. I believe there's a forum called "Basses" where your question may be better answered.

And you can't go wrong with a P-bass.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Fender Standard Jazz... Fine bass for the money, IMO/IME

4. Second that. Note that the Standard series is MIM.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You can't go wrong with a MIM P or J. Other options: a Cort Curbow (you can get one directly from Greg Curbow for around $400, plus about $50 for a hard case - and it'll be set up by Greg) or a MTD Kingston.
  6. username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Ever thought about bolting your own bass together? I see on ebay you can get mighty mite necks and bodies for very cheap and they are excellent quality. By doing this you could not only have a very profesional instrument but also a choice of what ever pickup and parts you like or can afford. You should be able to put together a p-bass or jazz bass for that kind of money you are talking only it will be miles ahead of anything in that price range, also, it never hurts to learn how to set up and work on your own instrument and this would be a very good way of learning this also. Just my opinion
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The Korean Spectors are a good buy. Not the Performer series, but the Q4/Q5 Pro, and the NS2000 series. I have owned a few. The ones I owned were of good quality, and sounded great. Plus, with a couple inexpensive upgrades, you can make it sound even better.

BTW...I want to sit in the front seat when this thread takes a ride over to the forum it belongs in...."Basses". :D

8. guess what! i have the same bass as you! yay! we could be brothers! yeah anyways, if you dont have the budget for a fender jazz definately look into an SX, better than squiers and $80 cheaper than an affinity, theyre amazing basses to be modded too. so you should definately consider that. other than that, consider TBC, fender, epiphone, and schecter IF you have the budget (TBC's arent very much though).
  9. You could go for an SX jazz and bartolini's, some flatwounds, and new pots and wiring for that price I'd say.That'd be a fine machine.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    And a fret job.