Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! CHEAP SETUP: Smokey Mini-Amp on BASS?!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Keeper, Nov 7, 2000.

1. The Keeper

The Keeper

Sep 2, 2000
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone here has ever used a smokey mini-amp with a bass. I've heard these little amps do some magical things when hooked up to a 4 x 10 with regular guitar being played on them... but what about bass?
    If anybody here has ever used these with a bass guitar then please share with me!!!
    The reason I'm looking into this is because I've recently bought a new bass (cort Curbow 4 string) that sounds great, but I have a crappy rogue 20 watt amp running an 8 inch speaker. It doesn't sound good at all. I've got some old 12 inch car speakers sitting around in my room hooked up to my stereo (I know it's werid but it sounds great!) and I'm broke from buying the new bass. I thought I could just get a cheapo amp like the smokey and hook it up to these speakers.

Would this work out ok for my bass?
    Would my 20 watt work better if I took the combo apart and hooked it up to the 2 x 12 I have?
    Do you have any other suggestions that will save me a lot of money (hopefully keep me under the $100 budget) and possibly let me use these car speakers?

THANKS A BUNCH!! YOUR ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!