1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!! check my placement!! important (to me)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dave-chaulk, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Hey, pleasssse check to make sure these pickups are drawn into the right place for me.. it is very important, as my friend (professional carpenter) will be here very soon to rout them for me.

I lined them up according to both my SX SJB5, and my Squier VM jazz.

keep in mind:
    the bridge is not meant to be in line with the pickups, please check them off the strings, or however you guys do it.

here's the pictures:

207b4o3.jpg

thanks in advance for any of this important help,
    David.

2. Do you want a "60's J-Bass pup" placement? Or,do you want to go with a "70's pup" placement? As for me,I like the extra high-end snap you get from the 70's pup position.

3. I'm not sure which placement it is, but my SJB5 and VM fretless have very similar spacing to eachother, so I spaced these in the exact same place.
    but I'm unsure as to them being just right.

4. OHSPyro89

OHSPyro89

Jun 21, 2009
    There is not really a just right position when it comes to pickups. Everyone uses something a little different.

Basically the closer to the bridge you get the tone changes to something brighter and neck position is a more mellow sound.

5. Reticle

Reticle

Jul 24, 2009
    Charleston SC
    I'm thinking a Bartolini MMK would go great right about where that knot is. :)

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Yes, but 60's placement is warmer.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020