Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help choose a new cab...mesa or bergantino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by krazyslow, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Mesa 2x15

15.4%
  2. Bergantino nv215

32.7%
  3. Mesa 6x10

23.1%
  4. Bergantino nv610

28.8%
  1. krazyslow

krazyslow

Mar 12, 2005
    San Angelo
    I'm looking at getting a bergantino nv215 or nv610; or a mesa 2x15 or 6x10. I have been able to test the bergies and I really liked them both through my 400+, but I haven't been able to test out the mesa cabs yet. I am a little concerned about the durability of the bergantinos. The bergantinos really just don't look as nice or as durable as the mesa cabs. I realize they are also a little cheaper than the mesa cabs, but I'm not as concerned about price since I don't want to ever buy another cab.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've tried both with my 400+ and left with a NV 610. Mesa cabs are nice and have a bit of sonic variation from the Bergies, but I found that I prefer the Bergantino. It was a bit less $, a bit lighter, and its held up on me thus far. I also just got a Bergantino 210 used which had been used on regular gigs for more than 5 years and its in almost perfect condition (with some cat scratchs on the carpet and a bit of dog hair).

3. krazyslow

krazyslow

Mar 12, 2005
    San Angelo
    Another concern that I had was the frequency response of the nv610 to which bergantino lists the low at 48HZ. I couldn't find one for the nv215 and of course mesa doesn't even bother to list theirs but assured me I would be good down to a Low A which is way lower than I will need. I believe a Low E string on a bass comes in at 41HZ--correct me if I'm wrong about that.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I was worried about the lower end response as well. However, after my first gig with the 610 it was apparent that it had tons of low end, much more than I expected. It seems to put out more low end as you pump more watts into it. I actually have to cut the bass slightly sometimes to compensate.

5. krazyslow

krazyslow

Mar 12, 2005
    San Angelo
    Awesome, it's tough to tell sitting in a shop. I was actually surprised to get more high end out of the nv215 than out of the nv610.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Yeah, I added a Bergie 210 on top of the 610 a few weeks ago to get some extra highs, which I need from time to time.

7. If you are limited to new, Berg 215. Is money an issue? If it is, Mesa 215 DIESEL SERIES ONLY. If not, Berg 215. It really is that simple.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have the figures at work, but as I recall, the NV215 is rated at 37 Hz to 7 kHz, or something close to that. It gets very deep, but stays quite tight. One question I would ask is do you want to punch through the mix (NV610) or get under and around the mix in a great big bear hug (NV215). Either approach can work, IME, based upon the tone and composition of the other members of the band.

As for durability, I'd say that the Bergs are every bit as well made and every bit as durable as the Boogies. I certainly wouldn't make that an issue. And Jim uses absolutely top of the line components. Don't think of them as "cheaper." Think of them as "better value for the money." :smug:

Tom.

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Do you have any concerns on mobility?

I had a Berg NV610 which will probably go down as the best cab I've ever played through. It was very easy to move around for a cab that size.

I've also had several Mesa cabs, and they seem to be heavier than the average cab for a given driver configuration. You would have to check the specs to make sure, but I've sure felt that mine were heavy. Now, the Mesa does deliver the tone and the solid construction and heavy drivers are probably part of the equation.

I voted NV610 as the best all-around cab.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Diesel series 2x15.. Now there's a cab.

If not, i've only heard good about the Bergies.

11. If you plan on playing the mesa on an 2x15 average stage forget about it. It takes so long to open up, you won't be able to hear it but the crowd will be passing kidney stones.

12. Having played nearly every cab out there over the years, the NV610 is quickly becoming my overall favorite of all of them. I have played Ampegs for years having owned a '73 8X10 and subsequently owned or played a multitude of 2X15, 4X10, 6X10 and 8X10 cabs. In my opinion, any concern about the stated low end response is premature. Play one and make sure you do it in a band setting and then make your own judgement. While the NV610 does not go as low as my El Whappo it doesn't need to! The NV surgically cuts and punches through the mix unlike any cab I have experienced before. The tone is very even across the entire fretboard and across all the strings of the bass. There is no loss of punch or cut throughout. The NV215 adds a mid/high driver that accounts for the increased highs but I do not miss it at all on the NV610. In fact, I have found that I prefer the tone of the NV610 over any of my full range cabs!! There is something about the way the NV610 sounds so even and balanced that I don't miss the higher frequencies at all.

Personally, I think Jim Bergantino is a designer that knows what it takes to get professional results and is tireless in his resolve to do so. In a world of hopeless mediocrity, Jim has dedicated himself to building products that are at the very pinnacle of performance and functionality and it shows in the results I get.

I should also mention that my cab sounds much warmer and responsive (as is typical after breakin) than it did initially. It seems that the cab gets better and better as I use it more and more. Unlike a typical breakin where there is a leveling off after 8-12 hours or so, this just seems to bloom more and more every use. Be ready for truly great tone from Bergantino products. Enjoy!!

Peace,

T

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 :)

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The 48hz figure isn't an absolute cut off point, it's simply the point where the lows start rolling off noticeably. I play five string through my NV610 and it sounds fantastic, even the notes below low E. Now, the *fundamental* frequencies of those lowest notes aren't as strong as they are through modern boutique cabs, but the notes themselves still sound big and phat.

15. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I didn't vote because I haven't played all of the cabs listed.

I usually don't like making other suggestions, because by this point you've probably narrowed it down to the four listed.... but...
    You may want to also consider the Bergantino NV425, it has 115 and 310's.

I just played it in a live setting this weekend with two gui**r players(50 watt Marshall thru a Marshall 412 and a 120W 5150 head thru a Marshall 412) and a drummer and I am just thrilled with my NV425 paired up with my Mesa 400+. Everyone in the band was floored at my sound. It's stays so focused and tight, yet deep and composed. It seemed to beg for more and more power. I am just in love with this set up.

It's also the easiest "big" cab i've ever moved.
    I do wish that it had rear skid rails and maybe a metal kick plate.
    The Mesa's appear to be bullet proof as well... heck, you may even want to consider the Mesa PowerHouse, 410 + 115.

16. krazyslow

krazyslow

Mar 12, 2005
    San Angelo
    Hey, thanks for all the great insights guys. I'm almost talked into one of the bergies, but I won't get to play them in a band setting. I want a strong punchy bass, so it sounds like the nv610 may be the way to go for me. My stuff does go into and out of a truck, no trailer for this band, so those skid rails and kick plates would come in handy if the mesa 6x10 could keep up with the nv610. No one commented on the mesa 6x10 yet..............any takers???