Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help choose between Fender,EMG,Bartolini pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnQPublic, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Greetings,

I have a 78’ Fender P-bass (natural ash body/maple neck) that needs to have the original pickups replaced can someone help me decide on a pickup? I have three pickups I’m considering and am open to other recommendations. The three currently in the running are:
    Fender 62’ Original, Bartolini 8S and EMG PHZ.
    I would like to stay with passive so there’s no need for routing the body.
    The sound/tone I’m looking for would be on the low end with dark tones…the style of music played would be somewhere between jazz and the Cure (think gothic jazz). And will be playing on Fender flatwounds. So, which of these fills the bill?

Thanks,
    John

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a Fender Original '60s P-Bass pickup listed for sale here in the TB Classifieds if you're interested:

P-Bass pups for sale

3. Thanks for the offer Slater but right now I'm still trying to decide which pickup to get.
    To update my question, I would like to add the Nordstrand NP4 to the mix and subtract the EMG (i have heard mixed opinions about the passive EMG).

Thanks

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Have a look around this forum, do a bit of search.

Just below here is a thread called Dr. DIMENTO´S ONGOING P-PUP EXPERIMENT

That one deals with Bartolini´s, EMG´s and whatnot.

s
    e
    a
    r
    c
    h

5. I have s-e-a-r-c-h-e-d and found bits and pieces of info but not specifically what fits the comparison I have listed. I read the reviews by the Dr. and found the info about the Barts interesting but his EMG review is for the actives not passives i was looking at.
    I am leaning toward the Fender 62' vintage pickups right now because they are about half the price of either the Bartolinis or the Nordstrands and yet seem to have a good reputation on this forum.

6. Thanks SMASH,
    That is the kind of information I was hoping for. I am interested in the darker/lower end tone that you are saying the Bartolini offers. Do you have the 8S's in your bass now?

thanks,
    Fellow 78 P-basser

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup

8. Thank you for your opinions and sharing of pickup knowledge. I decided to go with the 62’ Originals that my local guitar store had and will share my thoughts on the sound when he is finished with the install & setup on my P.

SMASH, thanks for the info about your Barts…I’m considering putting a set on my other bass for the darker sound. That way I have two distinctive moods to choose from (my other bass is a Carvin LB20 fretless which always sounded too bright to me with it’s stock J99s). Any personal experience with the Bartolini 9J#1 or 9K#1? The 9K#1 looks better on paper in the Bass Player comparison.
    Thanks,
    John

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I did a review on them so maybe you can find something of use in that. Just do search for Dimento's J experiment. 1st page.

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Haven't tried the K#1 windings, but there's plenty of reviews of the J#1's roudnd here.