1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help choose finish for my new custom build Bacchus bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by campbems, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Black Burst Spalted Maple

47.2%
  2. Regular Spalted Maple

52.8%
  1. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've paid down payment for
    My new Bacchus Custom 5 string bass and have narrowed down to 2 finishes. The first is a Japanese Spalted Maple Burl. The 2nd is the same but with a black burst finish around the edges. What do you guys think is the better finish?
    IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0079.JPG IMG_2179.PNG IMG_2165.JPG IMG_2166.JPG

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  2. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I'm hoping to get more feedback on this. What does my TB brethren think of these 2 finishes?

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I voted black bust by a hair. Honestly you can't go wrong with either. They're both really sharp.

campbems likes this.
  4. The second one for me....

Can't imagine how good a CUSTOM Bacchus will be. My Woodline is crazy good. I imagine a custom shop version will be even crazier good.

campbems likes this.
  5. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    @bal704
    I've owned one limited edition Bacchus In the past that I was stupid for ever trading away. It was the best playing and sounding bass I've ever owned. I'm excited about this custom build simply because I know their work. They are worth a lot more than you can buy them for IMO.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  6. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I like the blackburst. I think it looks better than the abrupt change from top wood to bottom wood. I would also remove the pickguard and control plate or go with a clear guard.

Of course the decision is yours. Enjoy the fantastic bass and the excruciating wait!

campbems likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I voted for blackburst, but either way you go it's going to be a beautiful bass.
    By the way, those trans-brown pickguards are the perfect complement for basses with natural finishes.
    It's a pity Fender and some other companies don't use them.

campbems likes this.
  8. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Was hoping for more feedback. I'm completely torn on these 2 finishes.

9. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Why cover any of that beautiful wood under black paint, even if only on the edges? Natural!

steamthief, RobBottom69 and campbems like this.
  10. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I'm kind of leaning that way of the natural and not covering the wood up. Both are nice though but it seems to cover the beautiful wood grain.

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

It's the weekend AND getting close to Thanksgiving, so I suspect people are busy with "stuff". Hopefully the weekdays will give more TB'ers a chance to cast a vote. ;)

campbems likes this.
  12. navijaz

navijaz

Sep 20, 2016
    I voted for natural because it looks more elegant to me. For my taste, the blackburst is a bit busy together with the brown pickguard and the spalted maple. But really we're nit-picking here. Whatever you decide, it will be great.

13. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    They're both beautiful and i'd be happy with either one. I vote for the blackburst because I haven't seen it very often and it helps tie the black hardware together with the body better. Either one would be great, though.

campbems likes this.
  14. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I like the "burst" around the edges, but the black seems too "severe" to me. How about a burst that's more transparent and accents the wood instead of covering it, like this... Brownburst. copy.

steamthief, JLW and campbems like this.
  15. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Oh... and one more thing... on BOTH those beautiful basses... USE BLACK PICKGUARD SCREWS!!!
    All I see (especially on the blackburst one) is random gold dots floating around.

campbems likes this.
  16. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    I agree with M.R. Ogle on the black burst on your example being a bit too severe. However, I would go much darker than the example he cited in order to keep the same 'black border' effect. Maybe go like 80% as dark as the original pic you posted so the wood grain still shows through, but it still looks black? Just an opinion.

M.R. Ogle and campbems like this.
  17. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    On their finishes they only offer the natural or a solid burst in the black as shown in the picture. I like the look of at bass but to me it's a little to much and takes away from the incredible wood.

18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    THIS is the way to go IMO. If you cannot do that, then I say no to the black burst---as said earlier--too severe!

19. M.R. Ogle

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Very quick & dirty PhotoShopComp.... BurstComp copy.

DaveAceofBass and campbems like this.
  20. campbems

campbems

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    @M.R. Ogle
    I like that very much. Wish they could do that finish.