1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help choose pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sundown1206, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I play in a indie/alternative/funk band and I like getting different sounds out of my bass but, I'm just not sure what other sounds there are out there, and what pedals could deliver these sounds. So far I have basic distortion and an envelope filter. I have no clue what else to get. I'd also like to maybe mod my envelope filter for less volume loss or more low end or something if that's even possible. I have a DOD 25b or somethinglikethat. Thanks for the help guys

2. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    The essentials (In order)
    1. Fuzz (B:assmaster or Bass Big Muff)
    2. Octave (Micropog or OC-2)
    3. Filter (Groove Regulator)
    4. Overdrive (GeminiDrive)

IMO/YMMV

3. naiko

naiko

May 11, 2008
    Rosario
    Hey man. You should get some fat fuzz. For the volume loss i recomend a DI/Pre like a Sansamp BDDI or an Agilar. You can also check out some phasers (mxr phase 90, ehx smallstone), autowah (or a wah), and of course the bass syinths like the ehx or the boss ones. Good luck!
    PS: putting a compressor pedal in front of your fx chain might also help you solve some of your volume issues

4. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    Thanks for the posts but I don't understand what half of these thugs you're suggesting do or sound like :(

5. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    If you don't mind digital and have the scratch, check out the line 6 M9 it's got way more then I ever would need. I was redoing my pedal board and for the price of 2-3 good pedals i got that instead. I love it. its really easy to use and it has a looper.

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Check out the TB clips database.

That and the suggestions above should give you a basic idea. After that, search the forum for funk pedal boards and various ODs, filters, etc. There's a wealth of knowledge already posted.

As for specific pedals, everything is subjective and everyone has different tastes. There's love and hate for any given pedal and ultimately no one's gonna be able to tell if you're gonna like something but you.

Last, once you get an idea of what you're looking for, check out the effects classified section here - there's tons of great stuff going for cheap.

7. naiko

naiko

May 11, 2008
    Rosario
    Google ´em up! and youtube has plenty of videos and demos of a lot of these pedals. Good luck!

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    a phaser pedal would make a great addition to your set-up.

9. JonPol

JonPol

May 19, 2009
    San Diego
    A pretty handy tool to fix any volume or low end loss is a boss ls-2 line selector. You can find them fairly cheap used and blend in some low end back into your effects and even do a slight volume boost to make the effects stand out more when you use them.

As for new effects, I think an octave pedal would go great with the pedals you have so far. Phasers are cool, but you can't really hear them in a full band mix...

10. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I looked up the octave pedal but i can't imagine hownid use it

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Get a chorus. They probably are one of the most easy to use and apply pedals for bass... Plus they just sound awesome!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020