Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help choosing a 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beav, May 27, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'm in a dilema here. I'm looking for a new 5 string to replace my Ibanez SR885 and I have no idea what I want. I know I want something with either 18 or 19 mm string spacing. My price range is around 700 dollars. I've considered these -

MTD Kingston Heir
    Lakland 55-02
    Fender MIM Deluxe
    Ibanez BTB405

Besides the wide string spacing, I want an active preamp and a rosewood fretboard. That's about it. I know I'm beating a dead horse with this issue, but please be gentle with me. ;)

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    You've got some good shoices started there.

You'll have to get a new MTD Kingston or Heir to get active, unless already upgraded. Maybe you already knew that.

One thing to consider is nut width. You are probably used to the tight spacing at the nut. If so, you may be more comfortable sticking with something that is 1 3/4 at the nut.
    The BTB405 is 1 7/8" I think the Fender will be as well.

Also consider the Lakland 55-01, the Cort/Elrick JPS5 and the Ibanez SRX505(not active, but decent tonal variety)

I believe the 55-01 and JPS5 have the same electronics. I have the JPS5 and I like the electronics. It is a very comfortable bass to play.

BTW, I also own the Kingston, older passive model. Very nice neck.

HTH,
    K

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    $700 wont get you a 55-02, But it will get you a 55-01 no prob.