Help choosing a bass, I'm new...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrandMarkie, Feb 7, 2004.

1. GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I'm looking to buy my first real bass and would like to do it right the first time. I'm leaning toward a Modulus Quantum 4 or 5. I play a 4, but looking to move toward a 5. The one i'm looking at is 2,400 but my budget is 2,000. Is it worth the wait to get this bass, or should I look at something else?

Others that caught my eye: Ken Smith, but far too expensive. Warwick, love the sound it gives off but MUCH too heavy. No way am I going to be jumping around with that thing on. I personally despise jazz basses, not necessarily the sound, but they look god awful. And I know I shouldn't buy a bass for looks, but I just hate the look of those retro styles.

It's tough to look at other basses when i'm fascinated with the Quantums. Funny thing is, i've NEVER played one. Sad, yes, but after researching them for quite sometime, I've heard nothing but good things about them. I would love to play one, but nobody around here (Boston) carry's them, it's pretty rediculous.

So somebody please help me out, I've been without a bass for quite sometime and would love to have one of my own. (I'm using my friend's crappy bass...)

For equipment I have a GK 400 RB-III which i'm looking to upgrade to a Mesa Boogie 400+. And an Ampeg 410. Just started about a year ago, so bear with me! But I figure i'd start with the main piece and do it right! Thanks.
  2. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Not true, you should certainly be interested in the looks of the bass. Basses may sound great but if they are not appealing to me, why spend the money. I am not going to get a bass that I do not find appealing.

As far as Modulus, I do not think you can go wrong there man. Good pick and you should try Bass Central . THey have a great selection and a good return policy too. They are good folks.

Good luck
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    First off, welcome to TB, GrandMarkie!

I just checked the Modulus site and it lists a couple of dealers - Matt's Music in Weymouth and Performance Music in Woburn. The list is almost a year old, but you may want to give both of them a call.

"Moduli" sound great, but you should definately give one a test drive first.

Hope this helps.
  4. GrandMarkie

Feb 7, 2004
    Waltham, MA
    I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels this way. I always get "that look" whenever I mention I wouldn't buy a P-bass bc of it's looks.

Jason Carota, thanks for the welcome, it looks like i'll learn alot from this board. I'm so used to car forums :D I looked into all the nearest dealers around me, but they either carry the old school Moduli or the Flea. Quantums are a rarity around here, unless i'm looking in the wrong places. There's a few 6-string Quantums at my local Guitar Center, but a 6 is just too much for me to even try.

*edit* I'm also from Waltham, Ma. Small world.

Thanks guys.
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You are certainly not alone with that here ;) but you can still get "that look" from some people...

You can never know ;) I went straight from 4 to 6, and I dont regret it. Nowadays, I find it hard to play a 4, I got so used to the feeling of the 6. I love it! :D
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    two more things:
    - unless it is a broadneck version, 5s and 6s have the same string spacing
    - the GK is a nice amp, I would rather use that money for the bass. But be sure to try a Modulus before ordering/purchasing! Composite necks are not everyone's favourite, some people dont like the feel of them
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Also, moduli quantum basses are rather heavy instruments themselves. They have a very clean or "sterile" sound to them... And yes, the feel of their necks is something yo uwill want to preview as well. Definitely worth a play (with a strap) before buying or at least look into getting it somewhere with a lax return policy. :cool:
  8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    For 2000, you can easily get many basses if you were willing to go used. Definitely grab a Smith for that.
  9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

I drove down to Performance Music Center once just because I heard they were a Modulus dealer. They had one bass, kept it on the wall behind the counter and gave me the 3rd degree before they "allowed" me to play it. The bass was really nice, but the set up needed some help. The employees in the store could have used some help, too. I told the guy that I had driven almost an hour to try this bass, do you think I'm serious about buying it? Then he got up from his newspaper and got it down for me, and watched me like a hawk the whole time I had it. Never went back.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist: