1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help choosing a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Aug 5, 2002.

1. MIA Fender Jazz 4

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. MIJ Geddy Lee Jazz 4, plus adding a J Retro

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  3. Lakland Skyline 4

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Im looking to sell my Warwick Streamer STD because I want a more classic "oldschool" sound. Im down to 3 choices, so id apprecite opinions, but im leaning toards the GL jazz.

note: I slap a bit

2. Every Jazz needs a J-Retro. I say the Geddy Lee Jazz w/ Retro.

3. Im basically looking for an active jazz with a maple board, and i like the GL, thats $630 for the bass, + $250 for the J retro, but i found this at the Bass Palace, and its the same price as the GL without upgrades and it already is active
    [​IMG]

so I think I might just get this, its pretty too.

4. MIA Fender Jazz 4.

5. Well I think I've found my bass, anyone wanna buy a Warwick Streamer Std with included extras?

6. what kind of Fender is that?

7. Well I just emailed basspalace and they told me it has been sold. :( I still want a maple board active jazz though, so what would you consider the better choice, getting a Fender Jazz Standard Deluxe(mim, active electronics, mia pups) and buying a new warmoth neck, or getting the Geddy Lee Jazz and dropping in a j reto. The Deluxe would end up costing $780 (or less if i dont get black block inlays and binding) and the Geddy Lee would cost $880, both new. Would the Geddy Lee be worth the extra
    $100? Is MIJ much better than MIM? Will that matter after a neck replcement anyways?

8. mij is way better then mim. the geddy lee comes with a badass bridge and fender custom shop vintage jazz pickups. so i would get the geddy lee and a jretro

9. but its a mim deluxe so it comes with US deluxe pickups and electronics, so its better then a mim standard. So what, other than pickups, makes a MIJ better than MIM?

10. Also, would the J Retro be better than an Aguilar OBP-1?