1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

help choosing a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by babelcraig, Apr 23, 2009.

1. babelcraig

babelcraig

Apr 23, 2009
    self explanatory really, just wanted a bit of advice about getting a new bass. been playing a few years now and wanted to step up to something of better quality (currently playing a Squire P Bass Special) just not really into the techie side of things but want to make sure I get something decent. I tend to play heavy rock music but am willing to try any thing out if offers come forward.

From what I've researched so far I've seen the Ibanez SR300 which looks decent for the cash (and played ok from a test), but wondered whether spending a bit more cash and getting a Warwick Rock Bass Corvette might be the best thing to do (I'm planning on checking one out this weekend)? Both of these are quite different to what I got at the moment but I'm looking forward to testing them out.

cheers in advance of your guidance

2. I have played many basses over many years. I got away from it for a while (wife, kids etcc.). I am back in the market and shocked at how great the basses are in the 400-700 range. I highly recommend a Shecter or an Ibanez. I am looking at Shecter Studio or Elite 4 or Ibanez SRX690. You will never need another bass.

3. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Mod the P-bass. A warning though, if you mod ONE bass, you'll be addicted!

4. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Ibanez ATK. Check it out, really.

5. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
  6. I can sure recommend an Ibanez SR... My last bass purchase was an SR535. Mahogany body, 5-piece neck, Bartolini soapbars. I knew I had to have one the instant I played it.

If you go with an Ibanez SR, spend a little extra and get one with the Bartolini pickups. They're a big step up from the Ibanez pickups. :)

5sg.

7. First a little background:

I've mainly been an occasional lurker here. After a four-year hiatus I recently dusted off the bass gear, and I've been auditioning with a few groups here in the outback of central Arizona while trying to regain my chops. My style of music is blues/rock/country in any combination.

At age 66 I'm finding that my Fender Jazz seems heavier than it once did. Next time I drive to the nearest big city (Phoenix) I want to try out some of the Ibanez basses I've been reading about. When I first started playing bass (~1997), my son loaned me an Ibanez, and I recall liking the feel of it. I don't recall anything about the sound or even what model it was.

However, when I bought my first bass, I ended up buying a Carvin LB-70 just cuz I liked the looks of the five-piece, koa/maple neck. Later my son bought me the Jazz, which he insisted I play while performing with his group. I have to admit that the Carvin lacked punch by comparison.

That's the extent of my first-hand knowledge about the sound of different basses.

Ibanez offers a bewildering array of choices, and the choice of pickups strikes me as an important consideration. One friend with considerable experience loves the SRX700, which I understand has been replaced by the SRX690. It has Ibanez pickups.

What should I listen for if I'm fortunate enough to do an A-B test of a model equipped with the Bartolinis and one with the Ibanez pickups?

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield