Help choosing a P/J set.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jul 30, 2004.

1. I'm in the process of building a bass. I routed it for P/J pickups.

The bass has a swamp ash body with a maple fretboard. I want something with a lot of low mids and a nice growl when I dig in. A good slap sound is also required.

Any recommendations?
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    You should review Dr Dimento's PJ pup experiement.
  3. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

or just do as i do. I generally like everything i buy, so just choose the name you like most of the posibilities on your price range.

pk, ok, just joking. Now seriously, just make sire you get a quality set from a store that offers a 45 day no questions asked return policy and you'll be alright. It's really hard to choose pickups on someone else's reviews.

For instance, i bought a set of duncan vintage hot for the jazz. Although the pups have twice the resistance of the pickups on my american jazz bass, the duncans were not boomy at all, although they were supposed to be. Go figure. Based on reviews, i would have not bought them. Based on personal experience, id buy them any day.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Definitely Bartolini. Nice growl when you dig in, but a nice gentle tone is acquireable too. Nice slap tone as well. Great pickups, very lo-middy.
  5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Nordstrands all the way! I have the P/J set (with the NJ4SE jazz pickup for the bridge)

Best place to get those is Great service-Jay Lewis is a top notch guy.
  6. EMG's were good in a maple body USA Guild Pilot that I used to own.
  7. Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I've got passive bartonlini's in one bass (my main bass) that sound greatl. However, I have to second the EMG recommendation. Just bought a cheap Guild Pilot to refurbish and the EMG's sound awesome. I'm thinking of dropping them in my other bass.
  8. Victor Wooten seems to like them in his Fodera.
  9. I went with the EMG set. Thanks for your help!
  10. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Just gonna throw in Seymour Duncan as a choice, I've heard some great tone out of them in recording. No personal experience with the bass pickups though.
  11. I've got a set of Seymour Duncan actives in my Essex and I love them. The J is typical but can really be tweaked by it's height but the P is just amazing no matter where it sits. In fact, I'd put the P half in any Precision and be very happy.

So, there you have it - a recommendation for every single brand of quality pickup made!
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    he went with the EMG set^
  13. I'll have to throw in a recommendation for EMG. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting. Not at all sterile like I so often hear about EMG. Thanks for all the help.

I think I'll try a different brand in each of the basses I build in this style.