Help choosing an amp/cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizfiz, Apr 28, 2004.

1. wizfiz

Apr 28, 2004
    Well my band had gotten pretty serious this year and we are planning on recording a cd this summer and playing a lot of gigs. Right now im playing on a tiny 35 or 50w Hartke practice amp, so I am going to buy something a lot bigger in a couple weeks.
    I have been reading the forums here and at mxtabs for months trying to research what I want and Id like some input if anyone has the time. The type of music we play is some kind of a cross between Dave Matthews and Led Zeppelin, so Im not playing any hard metal rock. I play a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz 5-string, so I need to be able to get the low B to register. So I hope that that clears up a few questions on the tone Im looking for. Im also trying to spend under $1500, the less the better, Im a poor college kid.

What Im looking at right now is an Ampeg SVT 3 with a 4x10 Avatar cab, the Ampeg B2-R half stack combo, and the SWR 4004 combos.

Any input would be great, or any suggestions of things I havent mentioned. Thanks a lot.
  2. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    hartke stuff is good bang for the buck, but you could buy "higher class" equipment used, id say get a solid 4x10 cab and a 400 watt head, or get a pre/amp setup imho, it would be better because if you get bored with the sound, you could just buy a diffrent pre amp
  3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

oh boy , here we go again :rolleyes:

the Hartke HA4000 is a powerful amp { also very reliable } that you can pick up just about anywhere for right around $500.00 . as far as Avatar speakers go , checkout for some of the best sounding , "bang for the buck" around... Dave at Avatar is very responsive to phone calls or e-mail . :D :cool:
  4. wizfiz

Apr 28, 2004
    Alright, I will check those out. Thanks