1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help choosing an amp/cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wizfiz, Apr 28, 2004.

1. wizfiz

wizfiz

Apr 28, 2004
    Well my band had gotten pretty serious this year and we are planning on recording a cd this summer and playing a lot of gigs. Right now im playing on a tiny 35 or 50w Hartke practice amp, so I am going to buy something a lot bigger in a couple weeks.
    I have been reading the forums here and at mxtabs for months trying to research what I want and Id like some input if anyone has the time. The type of music we play is some kind of a cross between Dave Matthews and Led Zeppelin, so Im not playing any hard metal rock. I play a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz 5-string, so I need to be able to get the low B to register. So I hope that that clears up a few questions on the tone Im looking for. Im also trying to spend under $1500, the less the better, Im a poor college kid.

What Im looking at right now is an Ampeg SVT 3 with a 4x10 Avatar cab, the Ampeg B2-R half stack combo, and the SWR 4004 combos.

Any input would be great, or any suggestions of things I havent mentioned. Thanks a lot.

2. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    hartke stuff is good bang for the buck, but you could buy "higher class" equipment used, id say get a solid 4x10 cab and a 400 watt head, or get a pre/amp setup imho, it would be better because if you get bored with the sound, you could just buy a diffrent pre amp

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

oh boy , here we go again :rolleyes:

the Hartke HA4000 is a powerful amp { also very reliable } that you can pick up just about anywhere for right around $500.00 . as far as Avatar speakers go , checkout www.avatarspeakers.com for some of the best sounding , "bang for the buck" around... Dave at Avatar is very responsive to phone calls or e-mail . :D :cool:

4. wizfiz

wizfiz

Apr 28, 2004
    Alright, I will check those out. Thanks