Help, choosing bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, May 4, 2005.

1. Hey guys, i really need help picking between these 3 basses, and if u have bases that you think would suit my style please show me. I play rock, and progressive metal (dream theater), looking for a bass that has 2 pickups, good body material, 5 stringed , price range not more than 600.

thank you :hyper: ;)
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    If you can stand the 35" and weight, go for the BTB 405.
    IMHO, it`s much better than the SRX series. Has a really good preamp that will let you dial a lot of different tones.
    Keep in mind that has wide string spacing.
    Suits perfectly in the type of music you wanna play.
  3. Thank you for replying, i appreciate it. Anymore replys?
  4. I'll go for the fender, just because I have that exact same bass as a usa 4 string and I feel it's my duty. I'm in love with it.
  5. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I'll second the vote for the BTB. It's an awesome bass.

Also, I've never played a 5-string Fender that had a decent B.
  6. second hand stingray 5 :D Love those things for progressive. I'm planning on buying a Sterling or Bongo, and play progressive myself too.
  7. Go with the Ibanez BTB405 - great basses
  8. Mob

Jan 12, 2005
    I wouldn't recomend the fender. Fender 5 string IMO are not very good. But if your looking for a 4 string Fender is the way to go
  9. form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Definately the BTB. I have the 6 string (406) and couldn't be happier with it. However..
    I just recieved my Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 and I'm starting to think it's going to push the Ibanez into a 'backup' position.
    About the same price. I payed $625 for my Ibanez and just slightly more for the Schecter, but that included shipping. You could probably get either in a 5 string for close to or under $550.

Click here to check out the Schecter
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am going to disagree with most of the other people in this thread.

All of the BTB4 series basses I have played have sounded pretty dull and lifeless. The preamp is weak. The Soundgear and Fender may not have quite as good of a B string(although IME the Soundgear B on the non basswood bodies is pretty good), but they will have better tone.
  11. Thank you all :D, u've really helped :D