1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Choosing cabinet for my "Trace gp7 sm250"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skepp, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Skepp

Skepp

Apr 6, 2006
    What kind of cabinet should i buy for my
    Trace elliot gp7 sm250:confused:

2. Trace 4x10 fo' sho'. I haven't tried any of their newer cabs - although, I did play a 7-band 15" combo (which rocked) - i felt the head was very similiar to older preamps - so perhaps the new cabs will be very similiar in sound to the older cabs.

with a trace + trace set up, i don't think you could go wrong, tho ;)

What kind of sound are you looking for?

3. Skepp

Skepp

Apr 6, 2006
    80's Heavy Metal sound, Exc. Accept, Dio, Wasp:cool:

4. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Genz Benz 6x10.

5. Skepp

Skepp

Apr 6, 2006
    Ok, sounds interesting. Someone else have any suggestion?

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    One of the most important considerations with your Trace amp is that it's "only" 250 watts. A 4-ohm cab will give you more power. The Genz 6x10 is 105 db "efficiency" (and 4 ohms). That means that it's pretty damn efficient. If you were to buy a speaker with 102 db efficiency, it would take TWICE the power to achieve the same loudness as the 105 db cab.

The GB 6x10 also handles 900 watts, so it will grow with you if you ever decide to get a more powerful amp.

The rule of thumb is: for every 3 db increase in efficiency of your speaker enclosure, you need half the power to achieve the same loudness.

So whichever cab you choose, think "efficiency"!!!

I have no personal or professional attachment to GenzBenz; I only know they're great for rock, are well made, sound very very good, conservatively rated, and look cool and authoritative. It's also pretty heavy, but you're young and strong, right?