Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help choosing my next bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albino_Ryno, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I'm saving up money right now to buy myself a new bass (it's about time). Anyways, I'd like to keep it under 6 or 7 hundred dollars if I could, and I definatley want active electronics. I've looked at Carvin, I've thought about a Fender deluxe active jazz, I've looked at Ibanez BTB models, and I can't really decide. My local guitar shop (god bless thier souls) doesn't have anything but the delux active jazz, some p basses, and some ibanez basses(just passive soundgears) so I have no idea what a carvin, a BTB Ibanez, or anything in that price range sound like. I'm probobaly going to make a trip to Nashville soon and go to MARS music so I can get my hands on a BTB and get a feel for it. I've played alot of basses, Fenders, Stingrays, a few Tobias basses, ESP's, Warwicks, etc, etc, but I've never even seen a BTB or a Carvin in person much less heard them. If anybody could give me an idea of what they sound like or a suggestion of what to buy in that price range that would give me a pretty versitle sound I'd really appreciate it.

2. Albino, I have no experience with Carvins, so I'll just recommend the basses I'm familiar with.

Ibanez BTB, probably your best bet. Killer B string,
    EQ that is VERY versatile, it balances well, and it just looks good. The 405QM should be just under $700.00 w/case. I almost bought one a few weeks ago, but, a...

Yamaha BB5NII stole my heart.(ears) I was ready to take the BTB home, when I tried this Yamaha, and it blew me away. Everything I said about the BTB is true, and, it's still on my list, but, this $500.00 bass just sounded so right to me. It sounds like a Fender Jazz bass, but, with very growly pickups and otherwise feels very much like a Fender. It's passive too, something I prefer.

While most people agree that you can not go wrong with a Fender ( I'm one ) some guys say that thier quality is inconsistent. A good way to see for yourself is to compare a BTB, Yamaha and whatever else you fancy to the Fender, and, unless the other bass is way out of your budget, don't condider the price, just what sounds good.

Stingrays are superb, but they're a wee bit more than $700.00 unless you go used. (nothing wrong with that)

You're probably gonna get a lot more advise here, so I will now make my exit.

Good luck,
    Mike J.

50% FBI
    50% CIA

I'm planning to arrest myself as soon as I can build a strong enough case against me by spying on myself!

Who started this thing?

3. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Where's Gard when you need an MTD reference. Let's see if he can set a new record for suggesting a single bass.

I would try for the Carvin, a Used Spector, the Ibanez sounds pretty good. But it all boils down to watch you want. Happy Hunting.

4. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree that the Ibanez BTB would be a good coice for your price range :). But just to let you know, going to Mars won't help much because they don't carry Ibanez basses (I don't think :confused: ) or Carvin. I may be wrong, but I've never seen an Ibanez bass there. Hope this helps.

-FSR

5. Well, the shortlist for me would be the Carvin, definitely the BTB and maybe the MTD. Thing is, Gard will badmouth the BTB, and I'll speak nothing but good about it. Problem is that it comes down to personal opinion on what you like...so the trip to Mars would be a great idea. Just don't buy from there.