help choosing pickups for project j bass...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, May 1, 2005.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i'm mostly a musicman player and i'm very unfamiliar with other types of pickups. i'm thinking about putting a bass together but i want to try something different...

so let me rephrase my question. i'm looking for something that can sound growly and thick (wal basses are the first thing that comes to mind)...and i was wondering what kind of pickups i should be looking for. would any of the nordstrand signature pickups (fat stacks, big singles, dual coils) be a good fit?

oh....and the bass itself would have an ash body and a modulus genesis neck.
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm a big fan of DiMarzio Model J's. That being said, if you're looking for a Wal type vibe, they won't give it to you. No J style pickup I've ever tried has given me that sound. To me growl is all about mids, and the Model J's are rich with them.
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Make a bass with a bridge and a neck P-pickup.
  4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i know...what i meant by j bass was the actual look of the bass...sorry i should have specified that.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Read SMASH's thread sticked as the top one on this page. Then do a search for Dimento/Dimento's for a series of threads by TBer luknfur who's tried out about 50 different pups of differing configs over the last year. Should help narrow your search down some.
  6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Ah, just the look. Well, in a thread starring 'bovinehost' and 'hippiesandwich' they agreed that the closest thing to a Wal without actually buying one was a Music Man Bongo. Maybe a dual MM setup would work for you...??? I know you wanted to get away from MM type instruments, but to me a dual MM versus a single MM is a completely different animal.
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Check out the pup's from Carey Nordstrand. I use his pup's in my Jazz, and I am totally satisfied.

8. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    which nordstrands do you use?