1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Chunk of Fender Paint chipped off. Can I re-glue?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, May 16, 2011.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I bought a loaded Fender Jazz Bass body and well it came packed a bit "creative" It definitely got knocked around and a chunk of paint by the strap button broke off.

It "chunked" in sort of a 3D flake and fits back where it broke off. Can I re-glue this with a dap of Elmer's Wood Glue?

I'm not too picky about things, if this fixes it I probably won't complain to the seller even though I sort of have a right too.

2. Try it. I would use super glue instead, though.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Good advice. I second using super glue.

4. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Thanks. I'll head out and get some new super glue. Mine is all dried up. I'll report back. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I'm not sure I would recommend superglue unless you are experienced in using it. Chances are you will end up with some squeeze out that won't just wipe off and will create a mess on the surrounding finish. I must admit, I would use superglue, but I use it almost daily and it took a fair bit of practice to be able to handle it properly in situations that are somewhat problemmatic. And this is one of them.

You would probably be better off with a regular wood glue, wiping off the excess when the chip is pressed in place and then tape over the chip to hold the edges down until it dries. Use a stretchy tape like electrical tape. Any additional glue squeeze out that occurs can be chipped off with a fingernail.

But if you are experienced in using superglue for finish repairs, go ahead.

6. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    +1

You have a serious right to some sort of discussion with the seller if you honestly believe that the packing resulted in it's being excessively vulnerable.
    Personally, I would discuss this with the seller before doing anything and have a GOOD picture.
    I don't know what exactly you mean by a loaded j-bass, but for discussion's sake let's say you paid $6-700 and it was mint, 100% condition. A 1" gouge in the body reduces the value in a proportionate nature to the "repair-ability" of the damage. Realistically that could be as much as well over $100-150 for a re-paint. I would think this through if I were in your position.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Superglue comes as a gel. I find it very easy to work with.

I'd put pressure on the chip for a couple minutes after setting it.

Post some before/after pics if you have time. :)

8. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Alright. The super glue worked "Eh OK" Sorry for the crappy before any after pictures. Fired on my camera to a low battery message.

I put the smallest drop of glue in the center and pressed it down with my thumb for a minute. Overnight it seemed to dry well.

Attached Files:

9. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    I've decided to just sort of roll with it. Loaded meant it came with a pickguard, bridge and wired electronics. The price I paid is probably even still a good one with the chip and I threw a neck on to test the electronics and I love the sound of the bass.