1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help (cigar box screw up)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zackthompson, Jul 28, 2012.

1. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I feel like I'm the only one on here that has crazy wiring problems constantly…. hahaha

I need some expert advice on this.

I'm making an electric cigar box bass. But, I'm using one single coil Strat style pup (don't judge, its all i have ATM) that has 3 wires coming from the pup. See photo. I have a naked ground, a white, and a red all coming from the pup.

All I want to do is wire that to a master volume and master tone to an output jack. I tried to wire exactly like a standard p bass wiring diagram suggests, but it didn't work because idk what to do with 3 wires coming from the pup, as p pups only have 2.

Can anyone help?

Attached Files:

2. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

Red is +
    White is -
    bare is ground

3. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    So where would I put the + and - in on the electronics?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    "+" and "-" will be wired as per the wiring diagram you're using. The bare should just go to the back of a pot.

5. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Ok so where would they go in reference to a p bass wiring diagram? (master volume, master tone)

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Try this, replacing the "black" with "red" in terms of the pickup lead.

[​IMG]

7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    aren't the two non-ground leads pertaining to switchy-coil-splitty guitar stuff?
    as in, each one would be 1 coil of the pickup

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    His pickup is a single coil, so there aren't any tapping options. In any case, to be able to tap coils or switch phasing/series/paralle, you'd need a fourth lead.

In this case, the third wire is to ground the magnets.

9. Have you got a pic of the finished bass yet? I'm thinking about making one of theses after making a cigar box guitar, how many strings did you go with?

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

There is a shield wire in addition to the (-) wire. They both go to ground in this case.