Help. Clarification needed for volume pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kijuer, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Hi. Planning to buy a volume pedal, I purchased online an EB VP Junior 250k. Nere come the first mistake, I suppose, since I was planning to put it at the end of my chain and maybe I should have purchased the 25k model, right?

Chain would be:

Comp - tuner - od - envelope - phaser - volume

One more thing. I know about tone suck issues. I would not use the "Tuner output" anyway, but assuming that I keep my chain as indicate above, would be having the compressor always-on a solution for such an issue (Being at the opposte side of the chain)? FYI it's a Seymour Duncan Double Back, output impedance 2.75 kOhms.

Forgive me but I am a bit confused :p

2. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Ian McLaughlin likes this.
  3. radiophonic

radiophonic

May 9, 2013
    Hi - Depends how you use the pedal... I made a similar mistake. I asked the guy in the store for a volume pedal for bass and was given a Boss FV30H. Bad mistake. I should have asked for a volume pedal to take asignal from a buffer or effects loop because I have a) active pickups and b) run the pedal in a loop of an LS2, which is buffered. The short version is that a Hi-Z pedal should be fine with a passive bass straight into the pedal, but actives and buffers will give you roll off at the frequency extremes and may reduce the range of the pedal's sweep too. I got a very noticeable bass cut, compared to the direct signal. I now use a Boss FV30L and my sound is identical to when the pedal is bypassed. Note there are similar impedance side effects when using these pedals as expression controllers. The FV30H works fine with Strymon and Malekko but not with a Boss PS6, where it behaves like an on-off switch. The FV30L works fine with everything so far.

4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I use a Dunlap Volume pedal and plug my bass into it and outto my pedals never an issue and you can tune quietly
    Duke

neuman likes this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I don't understand why so far into the 21st century people still sell and buy passive volume pedals.
    Get an active volume pedal and put it anywhere you want in the chain without loss.
    I use a Morley Little Alligator.

Kijuer likes this.
  6. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Mine is a Boss FV500HI. It goes after my big muff and compressor and before everything else. The tuner goes off the tuner out from the volume.

7. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    I would do Comp--> OD--> volume--> envelope-->phaser and put the tuner off the tuner out on the volume pedal.

8. datihein

datihein

May 31, 2014
    Texas
    I use the Little Alligator as well. But you can't put it just anywhere ... it needs to go after a buffer. So either in your amp's FX loop (if any) or after a buffered pedal (like some BOSS pedals and others) or you can add an dedicated buffer (like JHS Little Black Box, though there are many others). Without the buffer you'll get serious volume suck. Morely designed the Little Alligator with lower impedance than most other Morely volume pedals, specifically so that it could play well on an FX loop. They also claim you can stick it in front of the amp, but when I did that ... between the amp and a chain of True Bypass pedals, the volume dropped significantly. I added a buffer just before the Little Alligator and all was well again ... no loss of volume. I wish they would have just stated that necessity in their literature.

Having said all that, it's a solid pedal. No noise, no tone suck.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021