1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help ... Cleaning Products

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CH Design, May 8, 2010.

1. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Ok, so I recently bought a 1989 Spector NS2 that's is good shape but needs a good cleaning. I bought a Gibson Vintage Guitar Restoration Kit http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson Gear/Accessories/Instrument Care Products/) to use on the bass. I just broke open the packaging and noticed that the body polish specifically says for use on nitro finishes. Can I use this on my Spector without messing up the finish or should I get something else? FWIW, the only description I can find for the finish Spector was using is "high gloss".

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    The cleaner is quite mild, so not to worry, and as I remember, original spectors were nitro lacq finishes. No matter, would not harm poly which is more durable than lacquer.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ^ What he said. If it's safe for a weak finish such as nitro, then it will be safe for a stronger finish such as urethane.