Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help : Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yahuui, Aug 23, 2004.

1. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    I'm looking for a new combo. What is important in buying a new combo? Can you give me a few recommendations? Some friends of mine recommend Trace Elliot, but I really don't know what to buy. My bugdet is limited to $250. By the way, the combo will be used for practicing. Help me OK ! :help: :help: :help: :hyper: :hyper:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well i hate combos but.........
    i would look for the largest power rating and biggest speaker i could find in your price range
    it would also be great if the combo had an extension speaker jack so you could use another speaker with it at a gig
    but, honestly, if it sounds good to you and the speaker seems to be able to handle the low notes when turned up you should be ok
    i would look into used units as well - more bang for the buck (euro)

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

you could get a Fender Rumble 100 for that price, has 100W.

4. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    ashdown mag or club series. By far the best tone in your range.

FWIW, I look for a cd input, a headphone out, A decent amount of wattage, and speaker choicwe is up to you. I'd prefer a 12, It kind of bridges the gap between a punchy ten and a boomy fifteen. Perfect for a combo amp. Ashdown's club series is 60 watts, with a 12. Being in Europe it should be easy to get.

5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Mesa Boogie Scout.....

6. yahuui

yahuui

Aug 13, 2004
    Germany
    for what is the CD-input?

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    accepts a stereo signal from a cd player so it can be run through the amp, for bass kareoke!