Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help complete my halfstack

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghouldani, Sep 23, 2005.

1. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    It's an ampeg classic with 4 speakers but I don't know the wattage it can handle/produce. halp.

2. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well, I could list about 500 heads on the market that would be compatible with your unit and most may even sound good.

But I'd rather not do that.

What are you looking for exactly?

What music styles?

Head or poweramp/preamp?

How much are you willing to spend?

3. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I would mainly be playing metal but i might do church things. The price would have to be as low as we can go. I bought the cab cheap off my neighbor (he's moving). I'm sure all I need is a head. What exactly would the preamp do for me? Sorry if these are ├╝bernoob questions.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey, it's cool man. We all ask newb questions...

I'd prolly go with one of the lower hartke or Ashdown models.

It really depends on how much you're wanting to spend on it. Keep your eyes on the classifieds also.

5. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I don't trust anyone in my area. I live close to city that is notorious as a dump filled with blithering morons. The only classifieds I'm checking are on ebay. But thanks for the info!

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Ashdown MAG will give you 300Watts for $300.

Kustom Groovebass will give you up to 1200Watts for $500. It depends on your cab. If it's an 8ohm cab, you'll get about 500Watts, and if its a 4ohm cab, it'll give you 800Watts. I strongly recommend this head if you never want to worry about power again. 500Watts through a 410 should be thoroughly enough power for most medium gigs. Also... this leaves you with room for expansion. If you add another 8ohm cab, you'd bump your power up to 800Watts (and also increase your cone surface of course).

If you can shell out the $500... go with Kustom. It's the best bargain head on the market today, along with used Peaveys and used GKs.