Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, complete nOOb!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PeterJ, May 3, 2005.

1. PeterJ

PeterJ

May 3, 2005
    Hi,

My name is Peter, I'm new to this board and new to bass guitars in general. I have been playing guitar for about three/four years now, and (after seeing a small vid of Flea doing some "popping and slapping" as he called it) I really wanted to be able to play bass too. The problem is I am a complete newbie on the subject! I don't have a bass guitar yet, and I would like to learn more about the instrument before I purchase one. Could you maybe help me by explaining some simple questions, like:

When would one play bass with a plectrum or fingerstyle? Does it depend on the style you play? And are there like a few different styles like "popping and slapping", or are there countless different styles?

Thanks in advance,
    Peter

2. some other guy

some other guy

May 2, 2005
  3. Usually playing with your fingers gives a softer tone, while a pick is more defined and crisp. A lot of people swear by either one, or use both, so its totally your preferance. Use whatever is more comfortable for you and what gives you the tone you want.

Slapping and Popping is just one of many many techniques, and just refers to slapping a note with your thumb, and then "popping" the octave or another note with your index finger on the rebound. I'm not even going to begin to really explain the method here, as there are countless other threads about it and a plethora of information about it on the internet.

4. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Peter, you've been playing guitar for 3 years, right? Is there only one style of guitar? Fingerstyle or pick? Electric or acoustic? Light or heavy strings? Pinch harmonics, false harmonics, natural harmonics? Tapping, bending, sliding, alternate tunings?

Same issues on fatter strings and lower tunings.

Good luck, and have fun.

5. PeterJ

PeterJ

May 3, 2005
    You've got a point there ;) I think I have a lot to learn!

Thanks for the replies.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I suck at all things, music related.