Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Connecting an HD to SATA/RAID computer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Hey, my old computer died so I bought a funky 64 bit Athlon 3000. It has an SATA hard drive and a Raid tool. I tried attaching my old ATA133 hard drives to the computer but when I boot up, it only reads that my old hard drives are there. When I go into BIOS, I can't see my SATA hard drive. However, when I disconnect the old hard drives, my computer goes back to normal. How can I connect my older Hard drives to the new computer?

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Make sure your jumpers on the drive (The old one) is set either to cable select or to slave. That should help...

Ray

3. I took off the jumper because according to the manufacturer's websites, no jumper = slave. I also tried using the diagrams on the HD themselves. No luck.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    What excatly is the problem, will it not boot off the new drive? If so, just check the boot order in the BIOS. Will it not see the SATA with the ATA drive in?

Ray

5. When you check the BIOS with just the new SATA drive, it doesn't show up but it works. When you connect an older slaver (no operating system), it tries to boot from the slave. Even if the jumpers are set to slave. SATA drives are slightly different but I can't believe that they are incompatible with last year's ATA133 drives.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    That's really strange. Maybe someone else can help you, I only messed with SATA in my friend's box, and we had no trouble with mixing it with an old ATA drive...sorry dude.

Ray

7. Oh well, I thought I'd give here a shot. Thanks for your help.

8. Since it sounds like you replaced your mobo as well, you might need to install the SATA/RAID drivers from the Mobo manufacturer. I know I had to do that with my new computer. I had to copy the drivers from the CD to a floppy on a friend's machine, and then I could use the floppy to install the drivers while installing WinblowsXP.