Help connecting bass synth and bass guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r10, Sep 18, 2018.

1. r10

r10

Jul 15, 2015
    Hi talkbass,
    I'm researching options to connect an analog bass synth and a regular bass guitar at the same time (not playing simultaneously of course).
    I saw the EBS Micro Bass II which has two inputs, but would like to know how the sound of the synth would be affected by the preamp.
    Also, Radial Bassbone OD looks like a viable option, but looks like it was built to have a double bass in one input and an electric bass guitar on the second one.
    Anyone has any recommendation / tip to accomplish this?
    I don't even know if it's a normal thing to connect a bass synth to a preamp

Sorry if this is the wrong thread I'm not very familiar and English is not my first language
    Any help will be appreciated

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    An ABY box would be a simple way to do it.

r10 and elgecko like this.
  3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    That's just an example for the literature. It doesn't have to be a double bass. Radial makes some other options as well...

BigShot i/o - Radial Engineering

r10 likes this.
  4. Kriegs

Kriegs

Feb 14, 2018
    This is how I do it :thumbsup:
    upload_2018-9-18_15-37-48.png

r10 likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Radial stuff is good quality. The one you're looking at would work fine.
    You could also use an A/B box, which would be less expensive but you'd have to balance the volume with the controls on the instruments instead of on the pedal.
    Another option would be a small mixer.

6. eddie16

eddie16

Jan 11, 2005
    KC, MO
    The Radial options look good. I've had success with a Boss LS-2. The manual shows how to use it for two instruments into one amp, with a level control for each one.

Using that setup, I actually ran both my bass and my BassStation2 into a Sansamp PDDI to FOH, and thought the synth sounded great through it. YMMV, but it's worth a try to see how it sounds to you. The Sansamp could have been bypassed (turned off) if I just wanted to run straight through; you could probably run most preamps flat if you didn't want it to color the sound.