Help! Connecting iPhone to Stereo Aux

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by burgerdj, Oct 14, 2021 at 3:27 PM.

1. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I have an iPhone 7 (laugh all you want) and an Eden head that I just purchased for at home rehearsal. I have been using my little Ibanez Promethean for silent practice using the 1/8” aux input and a Lightning cable.

The Eden has stereo aux inputs (from the days before iPhones). I’ve tried using the same cable with a single stereo and L/R adapters and am not receiving any signal.

All recommendations appreciated!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 3:35 PM
  2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Nothing wrong with the iPhone 7, it's still common in the production world because of it's ruggedness compared with newer models.

With a 1/8" TRS to 2 x whatever inputs (RCA or 1/4") that your Eden head has should work fine. You might look at the owner's manual for your model head to see it there's anything unique about it.

burgerdj likes this.
  3. gyancey

gyancey Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If you're referring to a genuine Lightning headset adapter it can be finicky about load impedance and DC offset during the startup phase as it was intended to adapt to and work with basically every known headset at the time, including ones that had the ground and mic contacts switched, which is an alternative wiring for many overseas headsets. It wasn't specifically designed as a line-out device but can work as such. The AUX 1/2 inputs on my WT550 (not meant to represent every Eden head obviously) are just a resisitive mixer prior to the master volume control. I feel like it should work, but I'd go through some standard debug stuff. Since you've got 1/8" TRS to stereo 1/4" you can try the running the phone into input of the amp to verify the cabling (with the volume very low on the phone). Also you can plug your bass into the AUX inputs to see if they work at all. It will be quiet, but some signal should pass.

burgerdj likes this.
  4. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Figured it out - I had all the right things, but my phone case wasn’t playing well with the lightning cable. Took the case off and it works like a charm!

agedhorse and JKos like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021