Help converting my P to a P/J!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by limit6, Aug 7, 2009.

1. limit6

limit6

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Hey, fellas. Been procrastinating for all too long and it's time. I'm going to put the order in to Curtis Novak to wind me a jazz bridge pickup. I'm thinking 60's spacing because I'd like a less aggressive bridge pickup sound, but if anybody could expand on the tonal differences between 60's and 70's jazz bridge pickup spacing in combination with a P pickup that'd be very helpful. I also want to wire my bass so it will now have two stacked vol/tone pots for each pickup. Lastly, I'd like to upgrade to orange drop caps. So here is my list of questions.

• What are the tonal differences in 60's and 70's jazz bridge pickup spacing in combination with a P pickup?
    • Where can I order two top quality stacked vol/tone pots that I can drop in w/o additional routing? And what specifically do I need?
    • Where can I order good orange drop caps? How many do I need? What value(s)?
    • Where can I find knobs? I want chrome on top and black on bottom.
    • Where can I find a wiring diagram for my new setup?

I'm really excited to upgrade. Can't wait! :D

2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass XBass Cables Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I preferred the extra bite of the 70s spacing on my P-J and thought they blended well.

For the parts: http://www.guitarpartsresource.com

For wiring diagrams, Fender has wiring diagrams online for the stack knob Jazz - I would use that.

3. limit6

limit6

Dec 5, 2007
    Philly, PA
    Thank you, good sir that sold me my new bridge. She resonates more and feels less like a toy. We're talking about the same bass.

4. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Andrew,

(miss that bridge) Here's what I'm talking about... (I think the 60s spacing... albeit more common, is what is complained about as far as P-J tone)

P-JBass-closeup.jpg

(PM me if you need any help) This was my BEST sounding bass ever... yet, I'm converting back to "P":meh:

5. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Instead of pj try pt ... a p-bass with a t-bird pickup.

F5%20048.jpg

F5%20044.jpg

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I also like to put the j pickup a little closer to the p pickup.

p-bass5%20002.jpg

bass%20004.jpg

8. ExaltBass

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021