HELP!! Cort Curbow 6 String.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luis Fabara, Oct 18, 2000.

1. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I just recieved my Cort Curbow 6 String... WICH IS GREEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!
    IT looks, sounds, plays, feels, INCREDIBLE.
    About the luthite smell... I didnt noticed it until.. I installed the Straplocks.. When I removed the swcrews it smelled like naftaline.I put some Carvin Strings.. AND Voilá!! .
    As a review: Cort Curbow 6 String with Bartolini's : THE BEST 6 String BASS under $600 I have ever played.
    Straight Neck, excellent fretwork. Nice pickup (Bartolini), and almost noiseless electronics.

Carvin Strings: Very Loud, and Very Bright. Just Excellent for the price. $42 for 3 sets.

Now.. lets talk about the help i need:This Bass has a switch that is suppossed to work as a Slap Mid Cut switch. The problem is that the control inside-the-cavity controls dont say wich pot is the bass and wich one is the Midrange for the Slap Switch, but the worst part is that i cannot hear much difference.
    Please.. Cort Curbow 6 string Owners.. gimme a Hand. My Curbow does not have the cavity perforations in the back.. I have to dissasemble it to access it.
    Can anyone help?
  2. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland

I don't know if this will answer your question, but here goes.

Looking down at the bass when you have it strapped on, there are 4 knobs and 1 toggle switch. The toggle switch, which Cort calls a slap contour switch, is in normal mode (no slap contour) when in the up (toward you) position and is in slap mode when in the down (away from you) position.

The knobs, from left to right, are volume, treble, midrange, and bass. The 3 tone controls each have a center détente position that indicates a flat (no cut or boost) setting. The tone controls will produce audible changes regardless of the position of the slap switch. When in slap mode, the bass and treble will be boosted and the midrange will be cut. However the tone controls will still affect the sound when used to cut or boost.

I hope this helps.
  3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Thanks for the information, I did notice the way the Preamp was configured. The switch I figured too later...
    But my problem was not that.. But was good that you confirmed the information I figured out.
    My problem is about the Special settings for the Slap Switch INSIDE the control cavity.
    Newer models have a perforation in the cover in the rear of the bass to access these little screws...
    Mine does not. I have to take off the cover to access them. And they dont say: BASS and MIDRANGE so I could recognize it and adjust it properly.
    Anyway.. Its not a big problem.
    Since I dont have the manual, I wanted that Information.
    Thanks Dave, I really apreciate your information.

I was playing all night long...
  4. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000

I spent some time on a Curbow (Cort) 5, and noticed the exact same circumstance with the trim pots (negligible effect...)

After talking to one of the guys at Cort, he mentioned that the newer instruments would have a solid cavity cover. My guess is that while trying to keep the costs of the instrument down, the quality of either the parts or the circuit prevents them from being a big impact.

However, I thought the front-mount controls sounded great! This five had a mighty mite pup, and the contour switch works exactly as Mr Tomasi says.

I agree, it's pretty darn cool for the bucks!

Best Wishes
  5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Why in the world would cort put a closed cover??
    Thats stoopid. Ok.. It was almost noticeable.. but there was a difference in the sound.. But it is so subtle that I cannot identify what does each one.

Apr 16, 2006
    So Is it a active/passive swith as well? As well as a mid scope? please email me as i cannot offten get to this site thank you
  7. I think I know what your talking about , but I'm not entirely sure so please forgive me if this is no help to you. I have three Cort Curbows so I'm really familiar with the guitar. If it helps you locate the positions of the adjustment screws, the "top" one (the one more toward the center of the body) is labeled "Slap Depth" and the "lower" (more toward the outside edge of the guitar) is labeled "Out Put." Two of mine - both fretlesses, oddly enough- have the perforated cover, my fretted 4 does not.

You get used to the smell after a while; I actually kind of miss it when I open up one of my other cases, now!:D

Apr 16, 2006
    Hello, Someone replied to my thread before with some help and offered more. I have lost the e-mail address. Who whoever it was please mail me again? Thank you