Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Curbow Vs Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SnoMan, Aug 25, 2003.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    First off, I'm sorry if this topic has been dragged out before, I did some searching and could only really find that it seems like most people aren't happy with the Carvin sound, but from the positive reviews I hear it looks as though the sound it has works for the mellow-rock that I'm working on.

So here goes, I'm looking to spend up to a little over 1k for a new bass and I've been debating whether or not to go with a Carvin or Curbow for quite some time.

Also, I will be buying a 6 string.

I recall when I used to visit and post on this board often the curbow had a lot of support behind it.

I've recently been looking through a carvin catalog and found myself oogling their basses. They seem to have a lot of things going for them.

So I now come to you, I need your help! I live in West Virginia, I doubt any music store has ever had a 6 string in it here, and I know none of them carry either of these brands. So trying out before I buy is a no-can-do.

If anyone is really deadset on a different 6 string in this range feel free to post your thoughts, but I've had my heart set on one of these two for a while.

Thanks

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    If you go with Carvin, I highly recommend getting the BB76 model. The LB76 I have is a bit neck heavy; the BB76 should balance much better. I haven't tried the XB76, but I expect it is also neck heavy like the LB76 it is based on.

Also, the Bill Lawrence J-45L is a wonderful replacement for Carvin's J-type pickups.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    ASSUMING you are talking about the Cort Curbow, I have the Curbow 6 with the Bartolini MKs and I like it a HELL of a lot better that the Carvin 6s I have played. For ME, the string spacing is much better, I LOVE the neck, the electronics provide a lot of versatility and the overall sound and playability is better.

Keep in mind that I have NEVER played a Carvin bass that I liked, so we're talking serious personal preferences here. I hate their 6ers.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, if you can find a usa 6 string curbow for just over a grand, i say get it! awesome basses. plus, that would be a nuts crazy deal to pass up.

5. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ah, my apolgies. I was looking at the BB76 carvin and the Cort Curbow.

Planet Boulder - you say you like the string spacing better on the curbow, is closer or farther? I currently play a yamaha 5 string and I like it, it has a good bit of space between the strings compared to some 5's I've played. I prefer more space.

6. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Sno: It definitely has more space. It's the perfect spacing for me because I can still slap on it.

Things to keep in mind from a negative standpoint, though:
    - The Cort Curbow 6 IS neck heavy. You will have to adjust its positioning on you such that the neck may be a little higher than you like and the body itself my be a little lower or "behind you" than you'd like, but that didn't bother me a bit. It plays so nicely.
    - The body is made of some sort of composite and has a chemical scent to it. No big deal to me.
    - I have the "Walnut" faux-finish which, up close, looks pretty ridiculous. It's just a sort of photo-type finish that actually looks like it was done on a dot matrix printer. It's actually blurry up close! Still, unless you are going to be playing it during an intimate game of Twister, you'll be the only one who notices. It looks decent from afar.

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey Chucko! I find that my XB75 has particiularly good balance, even with a thin strap. Not a hint of neck dive. Overall, it's a really comfortable and (surprisingly) light bass (swamp ash, maple/koa neck). Even so, you're probably right that the BB models balance even better with that longer strap horn! Do you think they would do a XB with a BB body? That would be cool...

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    SnoBassMan,

I know you've seen the threads about 'em here already, but seriously look at a Peavey Cirrus 6. I like Carvins better in some ways, but Cirrus basses are better in others. If I were to buy a 6 right now, in your price range, I'd get a Cirrus.

9. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    MMM...I think I will start looking into the cirrus also. I always see it as out of my price range, but it's definately not out of reach.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    progzilla has a PV Cirrus 6 for sale, very nice bass; he had it at the bass summit.
    Several people checked it out. It's in really good shape.

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yes, I do have one that's in great shape that I'm trying to sell to put toward my next Conklin.. Here's the link with pics

Peavey Cirrus 6 String

12. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    For that price (850.00), I think you've found your bass, dude. That's a hell of a bass for a great deal.

13. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    Ditto on the Peavey Cirrus 6er. I just got back from GC where I put one on layaway. Brilliant instruments that can be had for incredible prices used- get it. NOW!!

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So right it needs to be said twice.:D

15. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I am not a Peavey fan and I have owned Carvin's in the past. The Cirrus is a better bass than the Carvin. My advice is to try to find a good quaility used bass. You can find a good bass in that price range. A used Carvin is the way to go if you want that bass. You can buy those used in the $550 - $600 range.

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My feeling is the opposite of Jeff's. I've played Carvins for years in preference to Peaveys. I sold a Peavey TL-6 to get my first Carvin, and I turned down multiple chances to get a Cirrus because they just don't turn me on. Both Carvins and Cirruses are well-made basses that can be excellent values; it all depends on what you like, that's all.

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Curbow

I hate the look of the carvin basses, their upper hours are ugly :meh:

Not only does the curbow look better, but IMO it plays better. Im not to sure about the sound however. The luthite body of the curbow lets you get a hell of a lot of unique tones outta one bass, especially the 6 string.

Looks wise, id go for the Curbow, but im not sure about the sound department...

Good luck with whatever you choose to do anyways ;)

18. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I'm glad to hear that about the XB75. I might have to try one some day.

I wish Carvin would do an extended scale bass with the BB body. Not yet... unless your name is Bunny Brunel or maybe Ed Friedland.

19. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    :) Now that I have an XB75p and a Lakland Skyline, I'm really digging 35" scale and not looking back.