Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Damn volume

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by merlin, Oct 22, 2002.

1. This is not a battery thread

I have this battery...... no! :p

I have a washburn XB500, with active electronics. My volume pot is almost dead. Its been crackling for best part of a year and this is why:

It is very easy to change a volume control, I have loads of pots lying around my workshop. But the downfall is the thread on the shaft the pot. The one in my bass is extra long, runs all the way up, the pots i have, only have a little thread at the base. The basses body is thicker or something...

So i rang around some luthiers and techs etc. Best quote to change it: $45 min. Forget it, its electronics, i am a service technician.. $45 phhft bucks to change it. I dont think so.

So i rang one other place and told him my situation. He said he would order in the pot and sell it to me. So he did... 3 different times... 3 completely wrong ones. I wrote on a piece of paper:

100kohm DualGang Pot
    *number of preamp board*
    bass model number.

What did he come back with? 2 500 ohm pots for a passive bass, then a 250kohm that had a short thread on it. So he said he would ring Washburn and quote them the preamp and that it would take 2 months to get here. So i waited.. to find Washburn had sent me a 50kohm.. WITH A SHORT THREAD. :mad:

So my question is... what can i do? This pot craps out now with just vibration. It's loose to turn which means the insides are crook. I dont want to have to go routing out a bit in my bass simply because the body is too thick for standard pots you get from Radio Shack... Or do i take it to the $45 tech and let him deal with it. But if he has the same hassles....means more money.

:D:D

Merls

2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I'll bet you can get a pot from Farnell Australia.

3. Hmm, I might try them. Not sure if there is a outlet here in Adelaide though. Do they have a website?

Merls

4. ok i did some searching, and found Farnell.

This is the closest thing i could find but i dont know if the thread is long enough.

[​IMG]

Merls

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    What actual value is the Pot,thread size and length?
    Log or Lin?
    P.M. me 'cos I'm pretty sure I can find one in the U.K. and send it off to you.

6. Great! Can you give me until tonight (24th) as i have a exam this afternoon. ;)

Merls

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

I ran into a similar problem when replacing the crap-o-la pots
    in my Yammer BBN4F. I had ordered some nice CTS ones and
    it turned out they were all too short, i.e., the threaded portion
    didn't clear the topside of the body - nothin' for the nut to
    grab on to.

Duhhhh! I been outta' the hardware side of things too long :rolleyes:.
    Most replacement pots have a 3/8" bushing. I needed ones with
    a 3/4" bushing.

GuitarElectronics.com has a pretty good selection.
    There are pictures! :D. I dunno if they ship overseas.

8. Thanks Doctor Camelhead. I think this is the one i am after:

CP 1010V
    Dual 100K Ohm Stereo Volume Control For use as a master volume control in stereo applications.

[​IMG]

The second to the end. But for $9.95 american? Thats $22 AUS without shipping and handling!

Merls

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Merls,
    You are a lucky boy, I have one of these amongst my spares.
    P.M. me your address and I'll mail it to you.
    Probably take a couple of weeks from the U.K. if you can wait that long!

10. Thanks Paul,

PM on its way!

Merls

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Once again TalkBass serves as a great place for people of different nationalities to prove that not all hope is lost in the domain of foreign realtions!

Peace
    Nick

12. Ahh yes but I am Australian, Paul is British, he HAS to send it cause Britain owns Australia... he has to help me by law... lol

Merls

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Did you just say your his B****?!

:D ;)

Peace
    Nick

14. More than likely... isnt that what John Howard is to the Queen.. and America. lol

Merls

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Wouldnt that make him John Bush?

Sad really.....

:D

Peace
    Nick

16. Err lets not go there.... :p