1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help date a G&L sb2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlos840, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Hi all, im sorry, i know there are lots of threads about those basses but i just cant seem to find any info on how to date a SB2!
    How old would it be with this serial? Serial # B034813
    Also, how com it is so hard to find those basses new on internet, they only seem to have the tribute series everywhere!

Thank a lot

2. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    There are some members who have slept with basses here, but to actually date one is just plain wierd.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

3. You are a funny man my friend!

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I'm glad you took it that way - lots of cranky folks in these parts. I think that if you contact them at www.glguitars.com they can give you the info you need.

5. Its mad, G&L is a ghost company! I have been looking for info for an hour and its impossible to find any serial numbers after 92 or any kind of production info!
    I need some G&L fan to help me!

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Hmmmm - I bought a 1982 L2000 when I was 15 & when I called them they answered on the first ring & remembered my specific bass that they had finished a week before. I guess a lot has changed since then. Tom Bowlus or Ken Jung may know how to handle this.

7. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Did you take the neck off? The date is very likely displayed there. If not, just try to find a similar number on the registry at http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/

BTW, according to the registry, it should be around 2003.

8. well i dont have it yet! It was an impulse buy on ebay! And i looked on the website you just gave me but didnt find a thing!
    I also see that on G&L websites all SB2 are supposed to have a 3 bolt neck but i saw some with 6 doing my research! Seems like a big mess to me!
    What have i done?

9. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    Older models have the 3-bolt micro-tilt necks. Newer G&Ls have 6 bolts (4 for guitars).

10. How new do you mean by new?
    Because i think my serial go match with around 2003 and it has 3!

Cheers

11. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    "New" as in the last year or so. Prior to that all SB-2's had 3 bolt necks. Really the only way to get a reasonably close build date is to pull the neck and look for neck dates and body dates. G&L has a big box in the factory with serial numbered neckplates. They remove a neckplate and attach it to a bass. It won't be sequential. The serial numbers/dates in the G&L registry at www.guitarsbyleo.com can give you a very rough approximation but nothing concrete.

The SB-2's are GREAT basses. I've had a couple over the years. I'd be suprised if you weren't impressed. That Leo Fender guy had a couple of good ideas..

12. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY

If so, I was tempted to bid on that one myself............Congrats! :D

13. I have to admit it was the baby blue one, with matching headstock!
    I never even played a G&L in my life, just saw it and thought it was the most beautiful thing i ever saw!
    I cant wait to have it!

14. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Sorry if this veers somewhat off-topic but...

The thing about this thread that gets me-why even bother with serial #'s if they cant help you figure out the age of the instrument? :(
    I mean, I know a serial # is helpful if your axe gets stolen but I think it should also indicate how old the bass is.

The age of an instrument doesnt matter to EVERYone, but IMHO it should be available to anyone who wants to know and what easier way than to have the serial number give you a solid indication. A lot of manufacturers seem to utilize their serial #'s in this way-it just seems like common sense to me.
    It works that way on my ESP-my serial # starts with 07 and mine was bought last December. Seems pretty straighforward to me!

Its much easier to look at a serial # somewhere on the surface rather than having to take your bass apart to check for dates in the neck pocket. Also, what happens if you have a set-neck or a neck through?

Again-sorry if this is off-topic.

15. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    Hmmm. I'm watching "The Tonight Show" and the musical guest (Hawthorne Heights) bassist is playing a white SB2, maple board, black pickguard, matching headstock.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sorry, but I am a bit of a G&L noob. Maybe see what Chef can add?

Tom.

17. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    bass6.

Does it really matter how old it is, that is a sweet bass:hyper:
    it is a 3-bolt neck so it is at least 2+ years old.
    You scored it for a great price, when you get it just un-bolt the neck and check the date stamp on it if you really need to know when it was made.
    The SB-2 is my favorite playing G&L, I have owned three of them and still have two of them. Two of them where older 3-bolt and my newer fretless is a 6-bolt, they all have played perfect!

Have fun!