Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help date this vintage bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mingustoo, Apr 14, 2005.

1. I just bought a vintage Bassman amp with matching original 2x12 cabinet. The chassis of the amp has the number a37478 stamped into it. The tube chart has ab165 and 'for export only'. If anyone can tell me definitely when this was made, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    sorry, I was confused...the covering is definitely black and there are 'deep' and bright ' switches

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Picture?

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Find a copy of Fender Amps - the First Fifty Years. It has detailed dating information.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A head and cab Bassman should not be tweed. It should have either blonde or black tolex covering. Other dating aids include the type of knobs, does it have deep and bright switches, the color of the control panel (brown, black or silver) and grille cloth.

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Go to the FAQ here: Fender Field Guide

AB165 is one of the classic topologies, have fun!

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Here you go:

http://www.superiormusic.com/page195.htm

This info still doesn't nail it down though, from what I read.

The tube chart should be where the two letter code is, as described, but they don't say anything about numbers following. But the first two letters are AB huh? That would mean A=1951 and B=February. If that's true and correct, that's as old as a Bassman gets. :eek:

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Nope, in Fender speak that means "second revision, January 1965." That only tells you when the circuit design and/or schematic were finalized though, not when the amp was built. Date codes on the transformers or pots (if original) may get you closer, and it gets more arcane from there. :cool:

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Well, I found the same info on the Fender site here:

http://www.fender.com/support/dating/amp_dating.php

Scroll down to dating your "blackface" "tweed" etc., etc.

Still no mention of numbers following the two letter code...but could that be the tube locations? They say the letters should be "rubber stamped".

9. near as I can tell it's a 67. thanks all for your help