Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help dating a Dean bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbryant8159, Jun 5, 2005.

1. jbryant8159

jbryant8159

May 12, 2005
    Hi all. First time poster but long time lurker here. I had an experience the other day the has really piqued my interest so, I'm hitting up as amny sources as possible to see what I can find out.

A couple months back I obtained an old Edge Q4 and have been pretty happy with it. The other day I was in my local music store and noticed they had taken one in on consignment. It was a later model with the new "ducktail" headstock. Mine has the older "shrimp fork" head. I asked Tom if I could take a look at it. Well it was about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. lighter than mine. Also the blend and master voulme pots were reversed. For comparison I went home and got mine. The newer body is much thinner overall and the horns are substantially different. When we cracked open the control cavity there was a huge difference. Mine has a big circuit board onto which all the electronics are soldered. This newer one had 4 separate pots and a postage stamp sized preamp attached to one of the cut/boost pots. Also the bridge saddles are a lot different. Attached are some pics of the differences. Mine is on the right. Anybody know when Dean made any of these changes? Or if one preamp desgn has an advantage over the other. BTW My serial # is D20020788. The newer one is E091959. Sorry if the pics are a lttle big but I wanted as much detail as possible. TIA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I'd take it out for a candelit dinner, and just tell it how you feel. :bag:

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    :rolleyes:

:D

5. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Sorry stupid thing to say. Mebbe, it has something to do with the left hand bass being an Edge4 and the right hand bass being an Edge Q4?

6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    damn, i was going to make that joke :)

7. jbryant8159

jbryant8159

May 12, 2005
    Nope, they are both Q-4s. Both have the quilted top. The edge 4 does not.

Also from what I've gathered in the Dean forums is that import Dean serial numbers are pretty useless for dating. I was wondering if anyone knew when some of the physical changes took place.

I'm gonna post this in the Dean forums too, but I just registered there and can't post until an admin "approves" me.

8. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    [​IMG]

The right one definitely has the Q4 sign on it, but the left one just says "Edge" on it.

9. jbryant8159

jbryant8159

May 12, 2005

:confused: :confused: :confused:

10. jbryant8159

jbryant8159

May 12, 2005
    Directly from the Dean website. This is a Q5. They no longer mark the trussrod covers like they used to.

[​IMG]

11. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, still, just email Dean and they'll answer your question. Dean's website is useless for answers anyway, because they still show basses with the vertical logo, where as the new ones have the logo across the top. Also, atleast on the Edge Fretless page, they still show the basses as having passive electronics and lines, where all the fretless I've seen in the last few years are active and blank.

12. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    I see now. Well, good luck.

13. jbryant8159

jbryant8159

May 12, 2005
    Yeah the Dean site is a little whacky overall.
    I'll give tech support a shot, thanks.

14. jbryant8159

jbryant8159

May 12, 2005
    Nevermind. Idiot me, just re-read my thread title. :rolleyes:

15. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    this is the first time that i've known of a MIK Dean that has a "D" serial number.. maybe it was made in April of 2002..

play both of them, and what tonal differences do you hear??

the newer one might have a different body wood.. like Basswood.. i'm not sure if the older ones are swamp ash, or alder..

ask Mick Donner at Dean Guitars.. mick@deanguitars.com

(and i don't like the new headstocks..)

[​IMG]
    one the right is the "Gumby" headstock (current production) and the one on the left is the "Duckbill" headstock (out of production)..

16. jbryant8159

jbryant8159

May 12, 2005

Thanks. I'll try Mick tommorrow. But now I'm confused a bit by your reply. I know mine (on the right) was made before or in 2001 since I bought it from the original owner who got it 2001. Mine certainly isn't ash but could be alder. Did you mean gumby on the left and duckbill on the right? I guess mine looks like an open duckbill. I thought they called it the shrimpfork but maybe that's just their guitars. The one on the left is what is currently shown on their website and many retailers. I'll see if I can get to the shop to play both and see what the diff is in tones.

Oh, and the one at the shop says " Made in Korea". Mine ahs no makings to show country of origin. Weren't some of these made in the Czeck Republic?

17. The "duckbill" headstock is current. The other one is not.

Jay