Help dating/info about 1977 Fender Telecaster Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by juan pablo, Mar 4, 2018.

1. original body

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. non original body

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. juan pablo

juan pablo

Jun 22, 2017
    Dear Bass friends, I came here looking for some help dating this tele bass from 1977
    I am not sure about the body, it has no labels at all, and has a few less pick
    guard holes than the pickguard itself , that I think it is original to me....
    I am about te sell this to a dear friend , and I don´t want to fool him...
    best regards! IMG-3500.jpg IMG-3500.jpg IMG-3581.JPG IMG-3583.JPG IMG-3590.JPG IMG-3522.PNG IMG-3506.jpg IMG-3585.JPG IMG-3512.jpg

12BitSlab, ICM, Garret Graves and 2 others like this.
  2. juan pablo

juan pablo

Jun 22, 2017
    :hyper:

3. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Judging from what you show in the pictures my vote would be the body is not original to the '77 neck. The neck shows expected finish wear and dulling, but the body shows very little if any difference between the finish beneath the pickguard and the finish exposed for 40 years. The 3 piece body itself, too, looks questionable. My understanding was that if the grains of the glued up pieces were as mismatched as these appear the finish would have been a solid color. Also the string ferrules look as though they are not flush to the back surface of the body. Finally, as you mentioned the lack of any initials, or dates or marks of any kind in the neck pocket is not in keeping with my experience with Fender instruments.

All that said, it is still a very nice looking bass. Should still have reasonable value even if the body might not be original (and I'm not saying it's not, just to me there are issues that make me wonder).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    12BitSlab and juan pablo like this.
  4. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The reason you've gotten no responses is the unbelievably large file size of these images. It's messing with my browser as I'm writing this. Go here and type S701352 (random digit added on the end for the illegible original)

Fender Guitars Serial Numbers Decoder - GuitarInsite

5. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    When you run the serial, it shows it's MIJ. I've seen 3-piece non-painted MIJ bodies before. Also, from one of the angles, the finish is distressed in a way that is consistent with being on a 40 year old instrument.

It certainly is nice instrument.

6. the_home

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Interesting comment on the serial number. I didn't check that as the number on the pickguard matched the number on the headstock decal (what's left) and the headstock decal has 'made in the usa' pretty clear, and looks as it should. So, another bit of the puzzle.

juan pablo likes this.
  7. the_home

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I checked out the serial number on the site given in a post above, and the way I read the results the number is either USA manufacture from 77 or 78 OR may be a later era Made in Japan. Fender is not alone in reusing serial numbers, particularly during times of corporate turbulence.

I'm thinking that much of the bass is original US Fender from 1977/1978. Still wonder about the body, though.

ICM likes this.
  8. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    The routes are not finished with color coat - they are bare wood. That strikes me as odd on a production bass. Normally all routing is done before finish work is done. I would believe the body is not original. Perhaps the original was damaged and this is a replacement?

9. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Non original body. It would certainly have paint in the routes and neck pocket.

Caca de Kick and ajkula66 like this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm no vintage fender expert, but what looks like a really thick coat of poly on a bass of that vintage seems out of place - esp. when compared to the neck.

11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Also, the Fender pickup route wouldn't cut into the neck pocket like that. That's weird....

12. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    it's absolutely legit.... I have several of these basses

saabfender likes this.
  13. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    maybe it was refinished....but, it's a real Telebass body....They didn't make many sunburst Telebass's IMG_1863.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    design and Son of Wobble like this.
  14. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    IMG_1864.jpg

Son of Wobble likes this.
  15. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    granted you are missing some of the ink stamps and markings, but, thats a real tele bass body

post a picture of the bridge and a picture with the bridge off.... IMG_1865.jpg

Garret Graves and Son of Wobble like this.
  16. juan pablo

juan pablo

Jun 22, 2017
    thank you all for taking the time to answer!
    another thing to consider is that I bought the bass in mexico, and is odd but it is common there that they do not care much for vintage instruments, as an extra value, they have cero problem in refinish and modify them...
    IMG-3604.JPG

REMBO likes this.
  17. juan pablo

juan pablo

Jun 22, 2017
    IMG-3601.JPG

REMBO likes this.
  18. juan pablo

juan pablo

Jun 22, 2017
    IMG-3603.JPG

REMBO likes this.
  19. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

the guitar dater project gives this whether the last digit is a 2 or a 7 with made in japan selected

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the
    Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan
    in 1994 - 1995
    Production Number: 701357

www dot guitar dater project dot org

If made in America is selected then this appears:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the
    Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA
    in 1977 - 1978
    Production Number: 1357

Fender: Fullerton

The Fullerton factory opened in 1946, Fullerton California with the first major electric solid body guitar production began in 1950 with the Broadcaster (later known as the Telecaster). Sold in 1965 to CBS who in 1985 sold Fender to a group of private investors the plant was not included in that sale and was subsequently closed.

I am guessing the second one is correct.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  20. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 8.57.24 PM.png

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021