1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help ! DB112NT -Grill/badge and maybe frame ? vibration, noise.. help !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pimmsley, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Guys please help,

I bought a brand new DB112NT, Excitement is quickly turning to disappointment as I am getting badge (Aguilar badge on grill) rattle/vibration at certain notes at moderate-loud levels (TH-350 at 1/2-4/5 master volume)... I tried tightening the screws but I'm still getting some at upper octave B-C# and other notes... Seems to only kick in above a certain level, but it's not that loud... honestly... I'm talking recording levels. Ant the vibration noise seem to come from not only the badge area but other areas around the front frame area of the cab, not internal from what I can tell...

I have checked the cab over as best I can and there is no obvious rattle or loose stuff noise if I give it a gentle shake...

looking through the grill with a torch I don't see any damage to the frame/front brace... there is also no cracks or signs of drop damage on the baffle or frame... ?!?

So I am not sure what it could be other than a construction flaw/fault...

I don't think I am being too fussy as it's present at a moderate level.

I just want to know honestly from other DB112 owners if this is normal or do I possibly have a dud ? :(

Thank you

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Take the grill off and make sure nothing is loose on the inside. Make sure all of the screws for the speaker are there and tight enough.

As for the badge, stick a piece of foam or double sided tape under it and screw it back on.

3. The grill comes off ?

4. oh ok,
    I didn't pull the grill out out yet, but pressing the grill firmly in the corners seemed to have helped quite a bit... only have a small amount of noise on certain notes now. I didn't know the grill was removable and was afraid to apply pressure there...

I'm now guessing the grill moved forward a little in transit and was vibrating more than normal as a result, so it might be worth me pulling the grill out and checking the cab without it if vibration noise persists, and checking the speaker mount screws etc..

Thanks for the heads up on the grill being removable.

Any tips on getting the grill out.. It's really tightly wedged in ;)

5. update: Found a way to get the grill off... As soon as I did, all noise/rattles and crap ceased...
    So it is entirely to do with the grill vibrating at volume, pathetic amount of Velcro... (maybe that aids grill removal ?)
    boo Aguilar, what's up with that ? the cab is built like a tank but the grill just sits there vibrating ? (there you go JimmyM !)
    A cab that retails for so much should have a better padded frame, more contact points or something IMO
    But very relived there is nothing wrong and the grill can come off for recording ;)

Thanks for the tip on the grill removal !

Sorry to post to my own thread so much, but this may help someone else down the track.

6. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Some self-adhesive foam weather strip should help. Depending on how the grill is vibrating, you may need to run it around the baffle between each of the velcro fasteners, or around the inch or so of cabinet that extends outward from the baffle if the grill is rubbing against that, or even stuff a little under the fabric where it lays against the grill frame. That last one is where I had a noise on a home-built cab after the grill fabric had stretched and loosened a bit. I used felt rather than foam since that's what I had on hand and the vibration was cured. Good luck, Bob

7. Thanks Bob,
    I had a similar idea while pondering and just went out and got some self adhesive black felt, (first thing I thought of) but maybe the foam weather strip is a better idea. I might give the felt a ago as I can easily remove it if it has no effect...

Cheers

8. Still having grill frame vibration issues at moderate levels, even after re-seating the grill, not a show stopper but totally bummed that it's not silent, I'm really shocked.
    Why has no one else reported this ? Am I the only one with a slightly vibrating front grill frame ?

9. My Aggie SL112 do it sometimes. Never enough to annoy me, I remove the grills when recording. Live it's never noticeable. Usually pushing all corners in and reseating grill fixes it.

10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Just for the record, I have run 2 DB-112's hard for 4 years now without a single rattle from the grille. It suggests there's hope for your situation, and not a routine issue. Did you call or write Aguilar? They seem very committed to satisfying customers, IME.

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    +1
    Aguilar CS can probably help out. They're quick to return emails, IME.

12. I have emailed Aguilar support a few hours ago, and described the problem so fingers crossed they can help in some way.

There is no damage or warping of the frame and it's driving me nuts for a brand new cab, agreed live it won't be an issue... but recording on the other hand would require the grill to come out, and that's a pain and can't be normal for such a premium cab. Sad face...

thanks guys !

13. Quick update: there was an email from Marco at Aguilar by the time I woke up this morning, less than 24 hrs, that's lightening quick customer service, wow, very impressed so far.

14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Marco has always been quick to respond to any questions I've emailed.
    Any resolution on your noise issue Pimmsley?

15. I have 2 DB212's and never had any issues with the grill vibrating and causing unwanted noise. The guys at Aguilar are top notch and will take care of you.

Cheers,
    LR

16. Not resolved yet...
    heard back, and trying to re-seat the grill to get rid of the vibration/resonance noise that way first... Although it didn't help before, and as it's a tight squeeze, I'm not sure I can re-seat any different to before. I will try my best though, I want it to stop.

yeah, I haven't heard anyone complaining of this, and if it was normal I'm sure it would have popped up around TB... but thanks for confirming you don't get it with your cabs.

The Aguilar guys are being very helpful so far, so hoping a quick resolution is on the horizon if this doesn't work.

Thanks guys.

17. OK, so I think it's fixed...

I feel like an idiot for making so much fuss about it, but I was confused and hurting... EDIT: and to be fair to myself it wasn't sounding good/right, out of the box.

Marco at Aguilar got back to me and suggested that I try re-seating the grill again, and assured me, we would resolve it.

This time I re-seated it, I noticed that I really felt a distinct click as the Velcro took to each corner, almost a snap, and I think I was being too gentle and didn't push firmly enough to get that seating properly caught and 'snapped' in. So maybe during transit there was some movement, or maybe it wasn't seated properly to begin with.
    Either way, it seems to be free from sympathetic vibration/resonance and I am one very happy DB112NT owner.
    The cabinet sounds amazing now, and even though I've only played moderate to semi-loud levels, no vibration noise !!!
    I have rehearsal tomorrow night, and a gig on Saturday, so I can really check it out.

Oh and FWIW I feel I should take back my 'waggy finger/boo' comment about the velcro and contact points... After thinking more about it, any more contact would be unnecessary and probably cause possible vibration noise, so I'll leave the cabinet design stuff to the experts and go play my bass... ;)

Big thanks to Marco at Aguilar, really great service, and those who helped out with comments and suggestions in my new cab moment of panic.

Thank you all.

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Glad to hear issue is resolved. Enjoy that DB112! Now you need the 2nd cab!;)

19. Thanks man ! :)

20. Good stuff!