1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Dead A & D strings on new bass with new set of strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MustangLouis25, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Twisted strings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dead strings in the packet

50.0%
  3. Other (Specify by replying)

50.0%
  1. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Hi,
    I bought a brand new Sterling Sub Bass yesterday (Black with maple fretboard) It's excellent and sounds strikingly similar to a stingray with the right eq settings. I changed the poopy dull nickel strings that came on it and swapped them for my strings of choice (Jim Dunlop 45-105 Stainless Steel Super Brights) I strung it correctly, by the way. The E and G strings sound nice a bright and punchy although the A and D strings seem to sound dead. I have had this problem before with the E string on my Fleabass with the same set of strings and I read online it might be twisted so I took the string off and put it on again and it sounded great like it should. I have taken both the A and D strings off and put them back on about 5 times with each one and there is no difference. There is no problem with the nut. The strings sounds equally dead on every fret too on both strings so it can't be a nut problem. Please help me as the A & D strings sound out of place and just bad. I could buy another set and try them out but strings are expensive.

Cheers,
    Louis

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Try moving the G string over to the A and D positions to see if it sounds ok- if so, it's the strings.

3. I know you took the strings off a couple of times but try loosening the offenders and pinch the string between two fingers and stretch it out toward the ball end and see if it spins.

JustForSport likes this.
  4. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Update

I have removed the A and D strings on my Sterling Bass and put the A and D strings that were on my Fleabass on it. Those strings were the same type of brand, metal, gauge etc. They sounded bright, how they should do, when they were on my Fleabass and they still sound as dead as the others when on my Sterling. It can't be an issue with my nut. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Because the strings sound dead when fretted too. It could be an issue with the bridge saddles but that is highly unlikely as they look fine and probably won't cause a problem. It must be a 1) twisted string, 2) Dead String or 3) something wrong with the bass. I was thinking of buying Ernie Ball Cobalts and seeing if the problem is still there. Any help would be great, thanks!

Louis

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Could be dead magnets in the pickup.

6. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    It can't be because it is even when the bass isn't plugged in.

7. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You say you have eliminated the nut and pickups, well let's see if we can also eliminate the strings; do that by taking the strings you just transfered from the Fleabass, back to the Fleabass and test those strings again. If they sound fine back on your Fleabass, you have eliminated another variable.

FYI one luthier one this site takes issue with the nut not being involved on a string that is fretted. IIRC he says that a string only has four anchor points; the tuner, nut, saddle and bridge. Those will affect a string whether it's fretted or not.

8. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Thanks for the reply. The strings sound great on the Fleabass when I put them back on. The fret job is a bit worse on the Fleabass compared to the sterling but I'm sure the strings would still sound bright even if the frets aren't that bad

9. Make sure they're not twisted.

10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    So you have eliminated the nut, string, and pickup. What's left? The saddle, bridge, and tuner. I'm not going to address a string twist; you say it isn't twisted, so I'll take you at your word.

11. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    I have purposefully twisted the strings too to see what they would sound like and they sound more dead when they are purposefully and definitely twisted. It probably won't make a difference whatever is going on behind the nut but remember every note on both strings sound dead it isn't just the open strings.

12. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    The bridge and the saddles look fine too and they all look identical so I think it must be the strings.

13. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    See post #7 above.

14. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You already know it's not the strings, when you substituted the Fleabass strings they sounded dead and when you returned them to the Fleabass they sounded normal again.

15. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Dead magnets in pickup?

16. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    No, this is an issue acoustically too.

17. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    The only thing affecting only two strings acoustically, plugged in, open, and fretted is the bridge/saddles for those 2 strings.
    Good photos of the saddles from both sides would help.

18. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    If you really want to dive in, try switching the saddles around.

19. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    No I think I'm good thanks, haha. I took it to a music shop today and spoke to someone who repairs guitars and she saw that the neck needed adjusting because I had recently restrung it with light tension strings. I will let you all know what happens

20. MustangLouis25

MustangLouis25

Jun 21, 2015
    England
    Hi guys, just to let anyone know who finds this post later on, It was the strings somehow! Didn't make sense but I have D'addario Pro Steels on that bass now and they're great, not as bright as the Dunlop Super Brights but they feel great. Thanks for everyone's help

Zooberwerx likes this.