Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help decide on P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BigMac5, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Upgrade MIM P Bass

17 vote(s)
    26.2%
  2. MIA P Bass

35 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Reggie Hamilton Bass

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    I have a Fender MIM P bass. I am trying to decide if I should upgrade the bridge,and pickups, or sell it and get a better P bass. Maybe a MIA or a Reggie Hamilton Jazz. The Reggie Hamilton Jazz appeals to me with the PJ pickups and active/passive options. The only thing missing is a passive tone control.

2. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    The p-bass with a leo quann badass II bridge and some seymour duncan pickups is a force to be reckoned with...

3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    It all depends on what you're after. Do you want a brighter, crisper attack? If so, swap the bridge.

At the end of the day, there are some MIM basses that have better necks than some MIA basses. MIA basses may GENERALLY be better, but it's not universal and there is wide variance.

In sum, if you LIKE the MIM bass, then go ahead and shield the body, replace the pickups and electronics. That's usually enough to significantly improve the bass's tone.

4. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I took the MIM mod option...BAII and Bartolini pups...and it's a sweet P-bass.

If you want more versatily, tho, and it's your only player, you may want to go P/J or active...

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Just get your MIA and rock it out in stock form. Such a sweet bass. I started to mod mine and then took it back to the original configuration.

6. Personally? - I'd upgrade, but there again having a J pickup would be nice...maybe you could get someone to route a J pickup on your MIM P whilst upgrading? I dunno - try a Reggie and get one if it feels nicer to play, but just upgrade ya P if that feels better...if the P is your first bass then I wouldn't sell it (I've read about people kicking themselves over basses they got rid of 15 years ago they wish they hadn't...):D

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I was in the same situation a while ago. I had a MIM P and decided that the P was the bass for me and I needed to upgrade. I bought a Skyline Glaub (copy of '64 P). Definitely check into it. I think Lakland has stolen away quite a few P and J enthusiasts from Fender.

8. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Amen to that.

9. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    You can try and find a Fender American Hot-Rodded Precision. I don't know if they still make them (they are not on the Fender site) but mine is pretty good (2001) and I have seen a couple on eBay for reasonable prices.

10. This is when I really wish my digital camera was working. It would seal your decision right there.

MIM P bass in Midnight Wine.
    Tortise Shell Pickguard.
    Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounders
    Leo Quann Badass II bridge.
    DR Lowriders 50-115
    Hipshot Bass Xtender Key.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I would keep the MIM bass and upgrade if you like the playability. If you find a MIA that you like I would go that route. I have a MIA Pbass that I actually like alot. It is completely stock. Sometimes I bring an outboard preamp, but most of the times I run it passive

12. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
  13. BigMac5

BigMac5

Nov 26, 2005
    San Diego, CA

This is the upgrade I am thinking about. How does it sound compare to the stock MIM? Have you compared it to a stock MIA P bass?

Right now I am leaning on upgrading my MIM and still buying the Reggie Hamilton Jazz to have a PJ. I belive the Reggie Hamilton and a MIA P bass have the same P pickup.

14. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    +1

15. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    MIJ (or CIJ).

They're my favorite Ps!