Help decide the P'up in my Warmoth

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groovecenter, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Seymour Duncan 67/70 70/74 series '62 reissue 5 str

1 vote(s)
  2. Seymour Duncan stacked J's

0 vote(s)
  3. Dimarzio ultra jazz 5's

6 vote(s)
  4. Bartolini (name the model)

5 vote(s)
  5. Aguilar 2 band OBP-1

2 vote(s)
  6. Sadowsky 2 band

6 vote(s)
  7. Seymour Duncan 2 band EQ for passive p'ups

1 vote(s)
  8. 2 band EQ of your choice (name it)

4 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Here's the specs
    (5 string bass)

-Alder body with flame maple top (deluxe 5)
    -Pauo-ferro fretboard on maple neck (fretted)
    -tk-5 string through or top load bridge
    - two J style pickups

Bassically I love my jazz bass's tone, and want this fiver to turn out with that tone, just the best possible version of it. The two settings I play with most on my jazz are bridge solo with tone rolled almost all the way off; and both full on tone 3/4 way up. Those are my fingerstlye and slap tones respectively.

With my band I usually have the neck rolled off to about 75, with the tone rolled either a 1/4 back or a 1/2 back.

*Edit- For the Bart P'ups, the 59J's seem like a nice option, but I can't edit the poll.

Please vote on the poll and than if you can give your reason and favorite pre-amp.
  2. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I's go with EMGs. Maybe soapbars or just a JJ combo ;)
  3. Thanks for the response and a bump for the morning.
  4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Every single Jazz bass I own has at least the Sadowsky pre-amp, some also have Sadowsky pickups.

For what I hear in my head as a great tone, and for what I hear in a band situation as a great tone, Sadowsky delivers in practical, easy to use way. I end up with a very musical and articulate voice. I've seen the most jaded and morose soundmen and engineers flip over Sadowsky stuff. That's saying something.

YMMV. I've been happy with these electronics for years.
  5. bump, help me out if you have any pickup experiences, the ultra jazz seem to have scooped mids, which Im not into. The Barts have a natural sound and clarity supposidly, and the seymours are supposed to be the 62 jazz in a five string.
  6. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Personally, I'd go with Fralin or Aero J-types. With *no* eq. I'll eq it at the amp.
  7. May I suggest a Musicman-type pickup in the usual Stingray position (about 3 1/2" from the bridge) and piezos in the bridge. :)

Just a thought.

8. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I am somewhat saddened at the lack of EMG's on the poll. A pair or EMG J's with the BTC 2 band is my opinion.

Take it fer what it's worth...
  9. As for the MM pickup in its position, I was originally going to do a lakland config (MM+J), but realized that I really loved the fingerstyle sound of the J bridge P'up soloed, with the tone knob rolled down quite a bit.

As for the EMG's, I find them a little to much for me the times I've heard them. They are great sounding pickups (listen to any Fodera with them, wow!), but Im looking for something a little less modern, with fatter sounds and not too aggressive sounding in the highs and high mids.
  10. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    As amper said, Fralins are definitely worth considering. I played a couple Lakland Skylines with them, and they were sweet.