Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help decided on a genz benz xb2 stack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Sorry if this is overly long without very important imformation, I really don't know what I'm talking about and recently am just learning about the world of amps. I've been a bassist for a few years, and now that I'm getting into gigging, recording, all the things you people do daily I've decided on investing. So I've been through my fair share of amp equipment by now but never have bought new. I'm not worried about the amp or rack yet, as I think I may go with a bmax and whatever I can find for power.

My previous cabinet choices have included a hondo 115, a peavey 115, a yorkville 410, the hondo and yorkville together, and now two 118s that I'm about to sell. I mostly play fast punk or ska, some reggae and some progressive rock.

What would be my best bet between these situations.

410+212, 410+410, 410+115, 410+118 or just one 610? Thanks for any comments.

2. I played on a 4x10" and 1x15" Genz Benz stack last show(borrowed rig) First time using it, Ampeg SVT Pro @ and a Sans Amp in the effects loop. was a pretty sweet sounding rig, could have had a little more power to it but it sounded good.

3. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    I have the 4x10 and it sounds great but its heavy(90lbs), and a little bit bigger than most 410s, i was planning on getting a full stack of two 410s, but im starting to think of going smaller, but you would have no complaints with a stack of two 410s, good luck
    paul

4. I'm thinking two 410s as well, kudos.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got a Benz 410XB that i power with an Ampeg SVT3Pro. It's loud and clear, very loud and clear. one 410 is all I'll ever need.

6. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    IMO the 610 is to bulkie for me, it might not be enough, and you couldnt stack it, but if you get 2 cabs, if your playing a smaller gig, or you have limited space you can bring one 410, they are great stand alone cabs, and if you double it up, it would be monstrous

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"410+115"

That would be my choice, ESPECIALLY if it's a Genz-Benz XB stack. Those GB XB's just impress me to no end! Then again, I have always used them with my SansAmp Bass Driver or another DI/preamp unit that was already provided.

I think you will run into situations where just the 4x10 or just the 15 will do, so you may not have to drag out some big cab like a 6x10 all the time.
    Running an all-10"s or smaller just sounds too "burpy" to me. Plus, they just can't reproduce those B string notes very well, IME.....even the SWR Henry 8x8 I used once. It sounded like a "fairy" to me. Plus, they sound muddy when you really dive deep, IMO.

8. I was thinking two 410s then I could actually make two identical amps, one for home, one for practice spot if I decide to leave it there, then the only time I need to move anything, and depending on the gig, I would take one, or two, adding a duplicate cab wouldn't change the tone like adding another type of cab would right? That's what I was thinking. Anyway...I lost my job anyway, so it'll be one 410 and I'm not sure what I'll be running for a head yet for now, I'll add the other cab later after I decide whether I want a deeper sound out of my cab or just larger sound.