1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Deciding between shecter model t/am std pbass/ sb4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smith_brc, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Smith_brc

Smith_brc

Jun 17, 2013
    So trying to replace my sr300(tone is bleh) and my peavy fury 4 (electronics suck.) and I'm deciding from the Shecter Model T, the Fender American Std Pbass, and a sterling by MM sb 4! I play stuff like punk(fugazi,minutemen,firehose) stoner (sleep,kyuss,fu Manchu) hard rock(Soundgarden, Pj, Alice in Chains, Ratm Janes addiction) and funky stuff(Rhcp pre BSSM). Just please post up some advice on these!!

2. save some $$$ and buy a MIM Fender Jazzzzz or a Blacktop P!

3. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    So you have two basses that are by and large decent basses but are unhappy with the tone. Have you thought about some new strings for an easy start? If you know it's the electronics that are holding the bass back that's also a pretty easy fix.

4. Smith_brc

Smith_brc

Jun 17, 2013
    Well I'm also not too much of a fan of either. The sr300 was a quick, not so thought out investment, and the peavey was just like $100 first bass. And I just wanted a complete change. I hope I don't sound too dumb!

5. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Nope, not dumb sounding. There's just nothing outstandingly wrong with either of those basses. The Fury's get plenty of love around here for a good alternative to a Fender and on the cheap. Ibanez makes a solid bass as well, and the SR300's aren't bad. What about the tone(s) that you're getting (or not getting) that you don't like? I'm not gonna talk you out of buying a new bass, but quite often, talking out the issues one has with their current equipment and listening to some sound advice you can save yourself some cash, learn some cool stuff and end up pretty happy with what you got. Also, I'm sure others will chime in here with other options as well.

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I gotta agree that a Mim Fender BlackTop Jazz would do it right
    (dual splitcoils)

Considerin' your options...

A Sub is just too poor, so if you're on a budget, they're bang for your bucks, otherwise let go...
    If you're on a somewhat of a budget, forget a US Std P bass for it's gonna be way too much...
    Now: a Schecter Model T will cover almost everything you're after with style, quality and price

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. Venomouscontrol

Venomouscontrol

Sep 22, 2012
    whats your budget?

8. Smith_brc

Smith_brc

Jun 17, 2013
    I'm doing zzounds pay as you play. I can cover almost anything with my job!

9. Rattfink

Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    The Fender MP Jaguar has the same pickup arrangement as the Model T, but it's only 399, and should be easier to find. But, if your one of those who can't go with Fender, ESP LTD FB-204 comes with ESP pickups at the same price, and it rocks (still only 399).

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I love my lefty Model T!
    schectermt_zps6bc08a1b.

Immigrant likes this.
  11. Smith_brc

Smith_brc

Jun 17, 2013
    Please tell me how you like it!! I really need some insight.

12. Smith_brc

Smith_brc

Jun 17, 2013
    I played one in guitar center and wasn't too impressed with it(for the price, great deal) but its just not me.

13. Rattfink

Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    witch one? the Jaguar or the FB-204?

14. Smith_brc

Smith_brc

Jun 17, 2013
    Jag. It was kinda uncomfortable and felt like a squire. Idk, it's probably just me.

15. tuba_samurai

tuba_samurai Yamaha BB Club #123

Oct 30, 2013
    Georgia
    I tried a model T recently. Very well made and sounded great.

16. I had a Model-T for about a year and it was a wonderful bass. I currently have a Fender Classic '50s P and have played many AS Ps, and the Model-T more than compares to them.

And it was sexy as heck.

SDC13243.JPG

17. Nice! Like the chrome cover, nice cosmetic touch. Here's mine...

101_1421_zps19cdd9d6.
    101_1420_zps755f31d8.

18. Smith_brc

Smith_brc

Jun 17, 2013
    Going with model t!