Help deciding JO or DJ Skyline?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by imjammin, Oct 10, 2005.

1. imjammin

Mar 13, 2005
    I am considering buying either a Lakland JO or DJ 4 string.

I play at church and jam/rock. I don't slap much. I like a full round mellow tone.

I'd like any help anyone can give me with the sound and versatility differences between these two basses.

Which would be better for me? Or is there something else in this price range I should consider? Thank-you, Eric
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the JO is the more vintage of the two, the DJ is more the 70s J vibe.

They're both great sounding/playing basses.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I prefer the DJ, however, from your descritpion of liking "full mellow tone", I'd suggest the JO. The fralin pickups in the JO sound like that to a "t". They sound pretty much like a vintage Fender.
    There are also differences in body shape and style. The DJ has a somewhat smaller body and is curved a bit different. Both are great basses.
  4. +1...I have played both extensively and I am on my second DJ....Personally, I prefer the neck and body of the DJ and the more agressive tone of the Aeros. I agree that it sounds like you are describing the JO....

try both if you can!!

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Both have an ash body, so they'll sound pretty "stringy". I've got a DJ5 with the Fralins, and it sounds much more like a 70s jazz than a 60s jazz. For full, round, and mellow, I reccomend a Hamer USA Cruisebass, Fender USA Jazz or Precision ... for punchy, barky, and bitey go for a Skyline.