1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help!! Deciding Mini Rig- Epifani or Aguilar???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkyfretless, Jan 3, 2007.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    hey guys,
    i have a db 750 and a gs 410 cab. i love this setup, but its sometimes too much for the gigs i do. i have 2 gs 112's that i use with the 750.....but thats overkill too. plus i do upright now and thats the only head i own.....haha to definately overkill. im lookin at either getting a aguilar ag 500 or getting a ul 502 and 2 ul 112's. i mostly play funk, r&b, neo soul, rock, reggae, and jazz and latin with upright. i love old school tone personally me'shell, pino, jamerson, and oteil. my axes are: 64 p bass, fodera matt garrison 4, adler fretless 4 (on the way), a bsx allegro eub, and a hawkes hybird upright. please guys help. i want tone thats similar to my aggie 750, but more light.

thanks,

evan

2. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    oh and im thinkin about the lmk II to..but it it hi-fi...??? i prefer old school tone.

3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'm all ears, I use the same big rig you do. Wondering what people will advise.

My current mini-rig is yamaha, BBT-500H and 2xBBT-110s. I'm thinking of picking up another head though.

EDIT: I don't think of the Epifani stuff as "old school." But then again, I don't consider some of the styles you play "old school" either, especially neo soul, jazz, and some r&b (marcus anyone?!).

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    try a pair of UL112's. my old AG500 sounded fantastic w/ the ultralite cabs. the ag500 gave the rather hifi and airy sounding cabs a killer lower end grunt. and yet, the rig was sooooooo freakin' easy to move around. one of my fav tonal combos.

5. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    thanks joker...anyone elses got some opinions????
    i preferablity want to keep the gs 112's and not get the ul after all....to much $. just looking for a good light head.

6. I believe the Little Mark can get that old school thing going pretty well. I've not used it, but the reviews I've read seem to indicate as much.

7. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Yeah , using the vintage simulator filter on the Little Mark will give you a very warm sound. Its very versatile.

8. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Epifani or Aggie huh? Do what I do and use both! My two primary rigs:

Aggie AG500 head (18 lbs) w Epi UL210 cab (38 lbs) or sometimes I use my Epi UL410

Aggie DB750 w Epi UL410 and sometimes I add my UL210 (so it's now 6x10 total).

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    tell us how the AG500 goes for your gig tomorrow! :cool:

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    My main rig is a db750 into a gs412. I also have a LMKII and when its hooked up to the 412 cab, it still keeps the aguilar tone and it sounds like what your looking for. I think you will be fine with it and the gs112.

On a side note, the LMKII into my epi 410ul sounds very modern. Its a nice little amp.

11. Quadzilla

You da man! On my third AG500 now. I kept buying them and then selling them and getting something else. Now I'm back again. I think this one will be a keeper. Thanks Joker!

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    :cool:

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Thanks for #2 btw it's not going anywhere :p

14. Quadzilla

Anytime man! Was that my AG500 or 500SC?

15. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    I prefer the Epifani tone. . . but, that said, I hear it as a much more "hi-fi" tone than Aguilar - both the cabs and the heads. Don't get me wrong, I had a DB 750 (a couple actually - :oops:) and still own a GS112. The Aggie tone is fantastic, I just prefer Epi. It is glossier and a bit cleaner (think Gew├╝rztraminer as the Epi, chianti as the Aggie) but a 502/PS 600 with some Epi 10's (or 12's for that matter) will pump out some deep, punchy funk/R&B/ns tones or smooth jazzy tones. And as Joker will tell you, the booty can get downright huge for reggae! :bassist:

Both great choices. . . and I've been of no help. :rollno:

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    500. The distortion tone on that thing is still the best bass distortion out there, IMO.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    yea,

actually, one of the main reasons i sold the aguilar was because of the epifani sound that woo'ed me back.

nothing wrong w/ the aguilar, but i'm more an epifani kinda guy these days.

course, when my RnR gigs start rolling my way again, i'll be all over those AG500 ads in the classifieds. ;)

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I've played the AG500SC through Epi cabs, and me likey 2 :D

19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The AG500 with the cabs you already have would be a good affordable alternative and keep your same basic sound. Admittedly, I love the tone of the Epifani with any cabinet. It is a great clear natural sounding head

20. larryl

larryl

Feb 1, 2005
    North Jersey
    My basic rig for the past couple of years was the DB750 with an Aggie GS212, playing mostly rock and R and B. For some venues I add a GS210. My new alternative which has worked out very well is the AG500 head with a custom 310 cabinet I had made by Don Oatman of Low Down Sound.It has B and C neo speakers and all lightweight construction. Total weight for the whole rig is 64 lbs. and it really kicks.