1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help deciding on cheapo fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gopher Bob, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I know theres a million and one threads about cheap fretless basses, but I get to choose one for a christmas present so I'm going to ask again.

Now all you boutique lovers and high end bass guys need not respond, i know the price is very low to get a quality bass.

Alright I have 250 to spend. and im not to fond of jazz knock offs but other than that im taking into consideration. I'm going to order one tomorrow (sunday, december 10th) so any suggestions before then are welcome.

http://www.rondomusic.net/bg205fretless.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/wpb955tfl.html

those are the two ive found so far... and please i don't need a lecture about how a little bit more money goes a long way because I understand this... the budget is 200 and I can slide to 250 if needed.

thanks

2. lesclaypool397

lesclaypool397 Guest

Jul 13, 2006
    Get the natural toned one, if it isn't too late.
    It's a beaut.

3. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    no not too late i will be ordering in the evening tomorrow

also if there is a jazz knock off worth mentioning let me know

4. Wow, a neck-thru for $229.00??? Amazing.

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Do it, SX basses are killer. IMHO you would have to spend a LOT more to get a better bass.

6. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    Yea, one of the cheapest neck-thrus ive seen. I'm just looking for a fretless to mess around with and practice being intonated... so cheap is the way to go.

Is that neck through an SX?

7. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I've got a nice SX inexpensive fretless for sale in the classifieds, though I must say if I were you I'd go for the Douglas. :)

See my sig.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    For what it's worth, I've been considering a cheapie fretless and I specifically asked for the Jazz knockoff (SX SJB-62 5 string) as a Christmas gift.

If I had the guts to go unlined there were others I might have asked for instead. That Douglas you're considering is pretty nice looking but if I did the math correctly the spacing is just 15.875 mm. I like narrow, but that's *really* narrow!

9. if you save 30 more, you could pick up the Squier Vintage Modified Fretless...2-colour sunburst, no pickguard, ebonol fretboard...I just picked one up and it sounds and plays great

(edit: sorry, i didn't really read the end of your post...:meh: sorry)

10. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
  11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    First and foremost - more important than how much you spend is that you play the instrument before you buy it. All I can suggest is - Do It.

Secondly, for perspective, I've been playing for 37 years and have accumulated a variety of interesting basses. we have four college tuitions and are supporting three young adults in college; so, my bass buying has really become trading - and I have essentially 7 instruments in one of those padded stands. They are all pretty special, and some of them are boutique; but, the least costly one in there is a 2000 MIM Jazz fretless. It is simply terrific. Starting in 2000, Fender really upped the ante on their MIM line. Right next to that bass is an actual '62. I'm about to put my '62 RI (another great axe) up for sale, but the MIM is cut closer to the actual '62 than any Fender I've seen - when you look at the fine points. Caveat emptor: some are great, some are not - play before you buy. But, essentailly the 2000+ MIM Fender J's should give you everything in a fretless you will need. My 2c. Happy holidays and good Luck.

12. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    haha not a problem Bobb... i just said that cause i hate when someone says i have X amount to spend and most are cooperative and then you got that one guy that says well why don't you just spend X more... its going to be way better. thats all i just wanted to ward off that guy, wherever he may be hiding.

13. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
  14. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  15. I had a fretless BG205 for about 8 months - and i only sold it to fund another purchase. it was really nice for what it was, but it kind of felt like a toy to me, and i attribute that merely to it's weight - it was very light. i guess i need more mass in a bass, something sturdy. the only thing i would have changed on mine was the tuners - they had a lot of play and needed pretty regular adjusting. i would go for the neckthru, but only because i already tried the BG205.

16. well...it IS a great bass :p if it's at all possible, I think you should try it...

17. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    The fretted version of the neck-thru Douglas is VERY nice for the $$. The only thing I had to adjust was a high fret in the upper register on the G string. The SOUND of every string blew the bolt-on 5'er into the weeds. The bolt-on is going to eBay.....the Douglas stays.

Probably won't have a fret problem with a fretless.:D

18. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    "the land of deans" whats that supposed to mean?

19. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Dean Guitars headquarters is in Clearwater Florida.

20. I purchased a Brice V2 five string fretless from Rondo two years ago. The strings that came on the bass were nowhere close to my liking, so I tried several other brands and have settled on Sadowsky flats. They're smooth as silk, play and sound really well. I'm quite pleased and now play it as my main instrument as it just feels right to my hands. I didn't have to spend a fortune. If I had to get another and were to choose between the two you listed, I'd take the Douglas.