Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP!!! Decisions, Decisions, Decisions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 28, 2005.

Which Bass do you Reccomend??

Poll closed Jul 5, 2005.
  1. Epiphone "Goth" Thunderbird ($400)

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Ibanez BTB400qm ($525)

22 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. ESP B254 ($454)

5 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Washburn Taurus "T24" ($300)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Schecter Custom (Vampyre Red Satin) ($500)

6 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. Other... Please post with suggestion!

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. I'm stuck between a few different basses, and need you guys' help!!!

I'm looking for a mid-range pirced bass to tie me over for awhile while I do a project bass or two. I'm looking for something with a meaty low-end and that could be used for heavy rock such as Staind, Stone Sour, Metallica, etc, etc...

The price range is $400-$600 US dollars.

The contestants are all un-tested by me, and I have read plenty of reviews, and am in the midst a decent amount of searching on TB.

Anxious to see Any Answers!!!
    ~Ryan.

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Maybe have a good look round at used gear, get something cheaper that will do a job for you in the short term and be useful as a backup later, and spend what you save on your project? Just a suggestion.

EDIT That's if your current bass won't suit what you want, obviously.

3. Golly, they're all so similar...this is going to be tough. :eyebrow:

Seriously tho, these are all so dissimilar, it's hard to tell what exactly is the deciding factor in what you are ACTUALLY looking for.

4. I like the Squier and Fender Precison Bass Specials. They have a Precison body, a Jazz neck and both P and J pickups. Incredibly versatile and availbale NEW between $200-400.

5. What do the Fender Jazz MIM or MIJ go for? Ought to be something in that price range. Be careful what you buy, I heard the quality can be inconsistent in those sometimes. Might be wrong, but better safe than sorry.

Randy

6. I'm lookingfor exactly what I stated...

Wood, weight, pickups, brands... None of that matters. I want something reliable, that I won't have to constatnly fix, that will always be ready to play, and very durable.

Aside from that and the quoted statement above, I don't know what else I should explain, I really don't see any holes in my question, maybe you could explain what I am "missing"???

Very Confused...
    ~Ryan.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Rock = P Bass right?

The P is probably the most widely used bass for rock music.

8. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    BTB's are great basses for the money.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Avoid the Epiphone, especially if you value reliability.

10. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I will have to disagree.. I have an Epiphone Thunderbird IV. And it's been great to me, and I don't see it breaking down on me on the side of the road in the near or distant future.

My vote goes for the Epiphone.

11. I do see a P Bass in my future. I'm thinking of ordering an Essex P to mod out as a project bass. Or should I just go with a Fender MIM P??

BUT, that's not the topic of this thread, lol... The bass I'm after here will be 100% unmodified... Unless I think something about it sucks, lol.

~Ryan

12. Well that is what SHOULD matter. What I was getting at with my response is that each of those choices are very different from each other (be it construction or aesthetics or configuration), and you have to admit to us that looks are coming into question here (and prolly a more driving factor than construction or reliability) or you wouldn't have specified a "goth" t-bird over a regular one in your poll, right?

To answer your question, I'd say the Ibanez.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that MR has been making a good case of late for the need of a "sarcasm smilie." :p

Tom.

P.S.
    I have been enjoying such comments, BTW!

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    My sneaking suspicion with all of these basses is one assembly line, different decals. At that price range I bet you could find a MIJ Fender used. Much better deal, and buying a used bass is NOTHING like buying a used car. If the neck is straight, and the controls work, it's cool. ANYONE of the basses you listed will be worth about half of what you paid for it if you go to sell used. The Fender you'll probably be able to get your money back on! IMO Just a thought!

15. I know... :smug: don't mean nuffin by it...just being flip. :D

16. Who said I'm going to sell it??? Or is this just in refference to the face value?

I specified the "Goth" version because it is black, and with a Gibson pickguard, I can make it appear to look like Shavo Odadjian's, whom is a huge influence in my playing style... I was just thinking a little far ahead.

I picked these basses out of alot more I was considering looking into... The reason why I chose these is due to their tone. I love the sound of ALL of these basses, and features mean nothing when all I'm after is a low meaty sound... Which all of these basses are highly capable of producing.

~Ryan

17. Go with the Ibanez! :cool:

18. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Pass on all of those. Basscentral has this:

Skyline 55-01 Natural, Maple Fingerboard, Bartolini MK1 Pickups, 3-Band EQ w/Active-Passive Switch. New Retail $999, In Like-New Condition, Sale Price $499.

19. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    What made you chose these basses if you havent played them

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Great deal!